Cleaning

Van

TVWBB Fan
Now that I have a nice Weber gas giant. How do I keep it clean? I use Stainless steel brushes for the Stainless sleet parts but I can't seem to get the cooking grates as clean as I would like. I saw what looked like a Styrofoam brick used for scrubbing the cooking grates. Are they effective? What about scotch-bright? What do you clean the Stainless steel grates with? The rest of the grill cleans up pretty well with a citrus cleaner I found at Lowe's.

Your brother in Christ
Van

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

If you are real worried you can always put them in your oven and run it through a self-cleaning cycle, but I just make sure I hit it with a grill brush before and after each cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by derek_d:
I wouldn't sweat it too much.

If you are real worried you can always put them in your oven and run it through a self-cleaning cycle, but I just make sure I hit it with a grill brush before and after each cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, that’s my current state of mind but I continue to search for the Holy Grail. If it gets real bad, I lay the grates on the patio and use oven cleaner. It works prety good.

My wife brought home some commercial cleaning stuff she got at the dollar store. It was called AWESOME

Apparently it is a grease cutter and worked well (and was dirt cheap...$1)

Might even try a propane torch/weed burner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by derek_d:

Might even try a propane torch/weed burner </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a weed burner have for yrs and it keeps my grates really clean ! but you need to be careful were you use it don't wana burn down your house
icon_biggrin.gif

Harbor Freight has or had them on sale for $14.99 . One other caution if you use it on a regular grate thats on the charcoal kettles if you get it to hot it a take off the nickle plating ! NBD just means to avoid rust you just need to wipe it down with vegetable oil after you get it burned clean and its cooled down .

Never had mine rust using a weed burner until last week . But my WSM grates I guess got to hot and I didn't wipe them with oil after burning them clean and got some rust .

IMHO a weed burner is a must have atleast for me for grate cleaning . It keeps them spotless and my one cooker is 30 yrs old and the grates are perfect .always been cleaned with some kina torch mostly a weed burner . Guess it didn't rust because of luck . But the vegetable oil a cure keeping the rust away . YMMV .

If a roaring torch a scare you them do not buy one you do need to be careful using one and they are easy to use and also easy to get carried away with do not ask how I know
icon_biggrin.gif
And also if you were to crank it up all the way they sound like a small jet engine and get very friggin HOT .

By the way the weed burner hooks up to a 20 lb propane tank right out of the box !

One more thing if you have a gasser and a charcoal grill also its great for lighting the charcoal takes about 30 seconds to get them going big time
icon_wink.gif

Iam kina of a Tim the TOOL MAN kina guy so a torch is my wepon a choice
icon_biggrin.gif

Also one more safety tip IF you decide to buy and use one find yourself 3 or 4 cinder blocks to rest the grates on in a dirt area cleared of anything that a burn ! DO NOT DO IT ON YOUR CONCREATE it can and will explode the concreate now and then might even pop a block but there cheap ! Again do not ask how I know this
icon_eek.gif

Iam NOT trying to scare anyone from buying one ! IMHO there the best tool for the job of cleaning grates and keeping them clean . But like any tool it must be used with the proper safety in mind and caution is all.

Far out!
I'll look in to it.
Thanks
Your brother in Christ
Van
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guy Wallace:

Might even try a propane torch/weed burner </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a weed burner have for yrs and it keeps my grates really clean ! but you need to be careful were you use it don't wana burn down your house
icon_biggrin.gif

Harbor Freight has or had them on sale for $14.99 . One other caution if you use it on a regular grate thats on the charcoal kettles if you get it to hot it a take off the nickle plating ! NBD just means to avoid rust you just need to wipe it down with vegetable oil after you get it burned clean and its cooled down .

Never had mine rust using a weed burner until last week . But my WSM grates I guess got to hot and I didn't wipe them with oil after burning them clean and got some rust .

IMHO a weed burner is a must have atleast for me for grate cleaning . It keeps them spotless and my one cooker is 30 yrs old and the grates are perfect .always been cleaned with some kina torch mostly a weed burner . Guess it didn't rust because of luck . But the vegetable oil a cure keeping the rust away . YMMV .

If a roaring torch a scare you them do not buy one you do need to be careful using one and they are easy to use and also easy to get carried away with do not ask how I know
icon_biggrin.gif
And also if you were to crank it up all the way they sound like a small jet engine and get very friggin HOT .

By the way the weed burner hooks up to a 20 lb propane tank right out of the box !

One more thing if you have a gasser and a charcoal grill also its great for lighting the charcoal takes about 30 seconds to get them going big time
icon_wink.gif

Iam kina of a Tim the TOOL MAN kina guy so a torch is my wepon a choice
icon_biggrin.gif

Also one more safety tip IF you decide to buy and use one find yourself 3 or 4 cinder blocks to rest the grates on in a dirt area cleared of anything that a burn ! DO NOT DO IT ON YOUR CONCREATE it can and will explode the concreate now and then might even pop a block but there cheap ! Again do not ask how I know this
icon_eek.gif

Iam NOT trying to scare anyone from buying one ! IMHO there the best tool for the job of cleaning grates and keeping them clean . But like any tool it must be used with the proper safety in mind and caution is all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something else to try is using PBW-professional brewers wash. Pretty much cleans anything by soaking. You can find it at many homebrew stores or online homebrew sites like Northern Brewer or More Beer. I use it in my brewing but also cleaning grates and stainless cookware.

Oh man!
icon_eek.gif
If I go into a home brew place, I'll end up spending more than I did on my Summit
icon_eek.gif
!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Your Brother in Christ
Van

I use a double layer of heavy duty foil loosely over the grates while I preheat. The residue from the previous cook easily comes off with my grill brush.

I think this is a good way to clean if you use the gasser a few times during the week, and your not the OCD cleaning type.

M wife just picked me up one of those "Styrofoam brick" and I just used it a couple days ago. I'm not sure what it's made out of but I would highly recomend using them. Makes cleaning grates a breeze. The brick grinds down as you scrubs and turns into a real fine sand. Makes then look shiny and new. The only draw back I can see is having to replace the brick and I have no idea what they cost.

I saw those in Lowes that last time I was there. Thanks for the info.
Between usung the oven cleaner, brush and your foam brick, I'll get it clean.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Bauer:
M wife just picked me up one of those "Styrofoam brick" and I just used it a couple days ago. I'm not sure what it's made out of but I would highly recomend using them. Makes cleaning grates a breeze. The brick grinds down as you scrubs and turns into a real fine sand. Makes then look shiny and new. The only draw back I can see is having to replace the brick and I have no idea what they cost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's kinda like my garage door opener.
When I pull upon the bike, I toot on the horn and bingo! The door opens via a pretty red head.

Van

Back