Cleaning Weber kettle

I use my hands to push all the ash toward the disposal vents in the kettle. I then use a paper towel to wipe what's left out. If there is an obvious buildup above the ash level, I use the paper towel to wipe up the excess. I don't want any accidental fires or flare ups.

The cooking grate I scrape with a steel brush while it is still hot. If that doesn't get it done, I've been known to go at with SOS. I've also used Simple Green on the cooking grate.

I've had my Weber Performer for 1.5 yrs and have never cleaned the inside. Lately I've noticed that my "one touch cleaning system" is getting harder to move from left to right. I've tried burning the remaining coals, after I've cooked something, at a high heat hoping it will burn off the residual gunk. It helps a little but still harder to use cleaning system. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
I've had my Weber Performer for 1.5 yrs and have never cleaned the inside. Lately I've noticed that my "one touch cleaning system" is getting harder to move from left to right. I've tried burning the remaining coals, after I've cooked something, at a high heat hoping it will burn off the residual gunk. It helps a little but still harder to use cleaning system. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Plastic putty knife will scrape off 90% of caked on crud. A razor scraper will get any remaining debris and will reveal the the porcelain in like new condition.
1e20fe9f-0ad1-4042-8abc-e8d167e6fd61_zpsl5esbdzh.jpg

I dont clean my "keepers" on the inside because i think the seasoning helps. i just scrape the grates.

On grills i sell on craigslist i give them a thorough cleaning and get them as close to new as i can. My method:

1 .Remove any loose ash by dumping or brushing. I have a long handled brush dedicated to this.

2. Spread liquid dish soap (without water) all over the kettle bowl and underside of lid. Spread with a sponge if needed and let sit. 30-60 minutes good, overnight better.

3. Spray off with hose.

4. Scrape with a plastic putty knife. This will get rid of most of your big gunk spots.

5. Scrape with a razor blade. This will get rid of smoke and grease staining and restore the porcelain to brand new. The left over grease will scrape off like strips of 35mm film.

6. A final dish soap and water wash inside and out and you will look brand new.

To clean grates:

An overnight soak in vinegar and baking soda will remove some debris.

If they aren’t too rusty, A wire wheel on a drill will restore grates to near new condition.

Oil grates up after cleaning to fight future rust.

I have old grates that I season like cast iron: Oil up and heat up.

Thanks for posting this! I had not thought of using a razor blade scraper.

another one who does not normally clean my grills/wsm, other than the exterior with some grill cleaner. i do scrape the grates after each session, but that's about it.

#0000 steel wool for the outside metal to make the enamel look like new and a scraper around the "one touch" blades to make sure they are flush with the body of the kettle for good control and shutdowns. A wipe or two on the inside of the lid to remove flakes if any, and scraping any large lumps of buildup on the body and then I'm ready for several more cooks.

After dumping the ash, I take a spray nozzle and flush the kettle out just before the next cook. I used to do it right after extinguishing the coals, but the grate began to show rust spots between cooks.

Back