Cleaning Thermo Probes and Wires

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I've got a maverick that I've used for about 5 cooks so far. It is working great.

However, I am a bit concerned about maintenance. I wash the ends of the metal probes well after cooking, but haven't done anything to the wires - I've been afraid that they will get damaged if I submerge them in water. However, after these smokes, the wires have gotten stiff and black from the smoke/residue buildup. I'm afraid they are getting so stiff, they'll lose their flexibility and break or something. So, I've tried bending them and breaking free some of the buildup, but a lot of it remains.

So... three quick questions:

1) is it normal for the wires to get stiff from the smoke residue and build up?
2) is this a problem?
3) how do I clean it without compromising the accuracy of the thermometer?

Many thanks.

- Adam

I wash the probe end of my digital therms by running the tips under hot water then taking scrub pad and cleaning to within an inch or so of where it connects to the wire, usually up to the bend.

As far as the wires, occassionally I'll wipe them off with a wet hot dish rag, but other than that, no cleaning. They've been going fine for over two years.

I do a quick scrub on mine...just to the connection...it's just smoke!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

adam,

The wires on my probes have a dark build up but I wouldn't call them "black", and I wouldn't call them stiff, they aren't what I would call real nimble and flexible but they move and they can be wrapped around the unit when I put them away.

Like Greg said, it's just smoke, they don't touch the food, just wipe 'em down with a wet rag or some degreaser on a paper towel, you'll be fine.

Hey Adam,
I've been using my Maverick for a good 2 years now and my wires are quite black and stiff like you describe. I've never cleaned them (get them wet) becuase I'm afraid it will ruin them. I haven't had any problems, so I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. Clean the probes and don't mess with the wires.
R.D.

Back