Cleaning Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Wilkens

TVWBB Member
Here's a question: How thoroughly do you clean your WSM after each use, and what method?

I definitely clean my grates, dump ash and clean water pan, but does anyone scrub the inside of the WSM? Just curious how everyone does it.

Ken

I use a pressure washer to blast off the grates
and pan. I usually don't clean the inside of
WSM unless the black stuff starts flaking off, then I hit it with my pressure washer.

If washer is not available I use weed burner and cremate everything on grates and in pan. In a few minutes all stuff is carbon and I can brush it off with a grill brush. Might be hard on pan and grates but, oh well. Rather have quick cleanup and replace grates once in awhile.

I started using automotive engine degreaser and
a 3M scrub pad. I bought a gallon of degreaser
and a spray bottle. I spray everything and scrub it down with the pad.Then wash it off.It doesn't harm the grass in the yard. Everything comes out looking like it is new. This method is messy and
time consuming so I don't use it after every smoke. I do use it for the grates every time. Helps keep the mold from growing.

I set the food grates and waterpan in the dishwasher. They come out looking like new.
The charcoal grate, I brush it off with a wire brush.
As far as the rest of the inside of the cooker, I only remove loose debris with a brush when it really gets bad.
The outside I clean with Oreck Super Cleaner.
My WSM, aside from the internal walls, still looks new after years of use. I keep it in a roofed porch with the cover on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't harm the grass in the yard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good idea, Pat. In our case, we rent and our lawn is basically dead most of the time, so it definitely couldn't hurt our lawn! Mold is a HUGE problem here in Eureka, so I think we'll give it a shot, at least for the grates.

Kelly

I clean my WSM usually the next day after smoking. The cooking grates and water pan are cleaned with soap and water. I spray the charcoal bowl and grate with the water hose to get rid of the ashes. I dry everything off reasonably well. Spray the charcoal grate with Pam. Reassemble the cooker. Put the cover on it and store it in my shed.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Um, not to be a wet blanket, but has it been considered as to the impact of cooking with the residue from engine degreaser or these other chemicals???? I dunno, but you might want to stick with "Simple Green" or pure orange extract for these purposes. Also, I've heard that some self-cleaning ovens can be used to clean grates, also. Just my 2?.

-- Ken

After trying many different methods of cleaning, I hit on the best of all - My wife and I have a deal worked out - I do the smoking and she does the cleanup. I don't know how she does it but the grates look almost as good as when they came out of the box.

Hi Ken,
Good question you've asked there as cleaning can ruin the memories of a good smoke. I've come up with what I think is the easiest way ever to clean up my WSM. I've got a big plastic tub, it's about size of the old wash tubs your grand ma use to use, about 2 1/2' across and 1 1/2' deep. I just squirt some detergent in it and fill with water. Put the cooking grates, water pan, and rib racks in and let them soak. After everybodys got full of good "Q" and left, or the next evening, I just take them out of the tub and hose them off. No scrubing at all. It works perfect. As for the inside of the cooker, when it gets thick and starts flaking off, I squirt it down with Simple Green, let it soak awhile then hose it out. This system works great for me. Good luck with your search.

i think i have the easier method. Firstly, i foil my waterpan, so cleanup there is very easy, just sponge and soap and water. My grill, i just put in my weber genesis propane grill (yeah, sacriledge, sorry/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) and blast them on high for like 15 minutes. Everything turns to carbon and i just use a brush and it comes right off.

Once i forgot to clean the weber for like 3 days after loooooon smoke...that was not pretty, there were flys and ants everywhere man!!!

jason

Cheap / Safe / Easy

First, I have used engine cleaner called Pro Tech from WalMart; works great. However, if you read the warnings on the container, you'll think twice about using it.

Back to the original premise. Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda works about as good as anything. One cup of Washing Soda in about four gallons of very hot water over night will loosen almost anything. Scrub with a brass brush and flush with water. Clean and ready to go. You Californians or anyone who must really be concerned about the evironment will find this is an OK product.

I take out the top-rack of my dishwasher & run it thru once in a while (not all at once), it comes out like new.

p.s., Jeff K wins!

I've been cooking on Weber grills since about 1965, when I was 10 years old. I bought my first one in college (probably 1975) and I guess I'm probably on my fourth one now, seeing as how I just replaced the kettle and rebuilt my 12 year old Performer.

I have NEVER cleaned the inside of a Weber. And, furthermore, I don't EVER intend to.

I have never cleaned a Weber grate, either. I keep a brass brush hanging on the grill and brush off the crud each time I fire it up. When the grates get old and nasty after a few years, I go to Walmart and buy new ones.

As long as you use it regularly, I can't imagine ever needing to clean the inside. Life's too short!

I do clean the outside of the grill once or twice a year, whether it needs it or not. Spritz it down with Simple Green or kitchen cleaner, let it soak in, and hose it off. I use Barkeeper's friend and a copper scouring pad on the stainless steel work table on the Performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back