Cleaning/Restoring Cook Box

Rick Stewart

I have an '05 Genesis Silver B that has performed for me reliable for the years I've had it. I am now restoring the grill to almost new condition. I have replaced the uper frame,left and right frames, and also the bottom panel. I am keeping the original stainless front panel and doors. I am at the stage where I need to clean the cook box. The inside has grease flakes on the top cover and the outside bottom needs painting. I am looking for any suggestions or tips on doing this. Thanks for any info. I am glad I found this forum! -Rick

Paint scraper get the gunk on the inside.
Razor blade works good on the sides of the top.
Wire wheel works good on inside and outside of fire box...
The enamel part i used a SOS pad and it cleaned up nicely
I am in the process of doing mine...I might need to replace one of the legs on the frame ,,,how much did that run you....

Thanks for the info dsitterson ! I got both legs for the frame. The left one came with the casters and the right one came with the wheels. I think it was about $53 for the both of them.
I am almost there rebuilding the grill. Just need a few more parts and then paint the cook box. Should be back up and running this weekend.

If the Firebox is really rough and grungy, I would:

Check local yellow pages - Look for places that do sand-blasting

Find out if any of them can blast with Walnut Shells or Soda (whatever they recommend for Cast Aluminum that will not put holes in it)

Once it's been blasted, use high-temp paint on it as soon as possible (the blasted surface should work well for paint adhesion).

If you can drop it off, and then pick-up later - you may be pleasantly surprised at price to get the work done (and a LOT easier than scrapers & wire brush).

Back