Cleaning old hardware vs buying new?

DanJC

TVWBB Fan
Nearing assembly of my grill, and sorting through all the screws, nuts, bolts, etc.

Do you usually buy all-new SS or just clean and reuse?

If you do clean, what's a good method?

I have done both but replacing with Stainless Steel is the best option.
If you do use original hardware I suggest cleaning all rust/corrosion first and using copper antiseeze on all threads.

Jeff

I typically only use SS hardware on the parts of the grill where it tends to corrode. Mainly the fire box bolt on the left and the manifold bolts on the right.

This is one of the nicer restorations. There's a BoltDepot hardware BOM, too (image below) for you to check against what you have if you decide to order SS online or take a shopping list to the local hardware store.

1602475681289.png

Thanks for that. Funny, I had just submitted my own order before I saw this. Looks pretty similar, though I bought a bit extra and also screws for side tables.

I noticed Weber (and you) chose nylon washers. I went w/ stainless steel. What's the benefit of nylon?

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 10.01.51 PM.png

Oh, that wasn't my BOM...the guy that started that thread I linked is the author. The nylon washers are as delivered by Weber, and I think the general consensus of opinion for their use is to prevent marring the painted/powder coated/porcelainized surfaces and thereby preventing rust from starting.

Last edited:

Back