cleaned my WSM, will temperature be higher?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello
I've had my WSM for a year now, and have really enjoyed the experience. I'm Norwegian and barbequeing is not commond here we are more a grilling country. Wednesday we are selebrating midsummer, wich is kind of a big deal in Scandinavia since the summer is rather short. Well, I plan on making pulled pork and spareribs and have done so several times with great results. I cleaned the WSM the other day, removed most of the sooth and deposits. Will the temperature be higher now that the inside surface is more reflective again?
Since it's quite unusual to barbeque here I get my inspiration and knowledge from you guys. But when I go to the store to buy my meat I some times have trouble getting what I want, some times I'm not sure what it is I'm after!
One thing is to transelate the american names into norwegian, but the butchers here does not cut the meat the same way as is done in the USA. I can'torder a "but", but when I order "boneless pigs neck" I belive I get what you call a Boston but.
And i'm not sure what part of the rib baby-backs come from.
When it comes to smokingwood I can get hickory in a few places. Oak, and other lokal trees are no problem, I live close to the woods. But searching the Internet I miss one type of wood, the beech. Is this tree only found in Europe? I belive its commonly used here for making smoked saucages etc., and I've used it several times in the WSM.
Well, I wish you all a good summer and thank you for all the good advices and recipes I've found, and hope to find.

Tore

Cleaning the soot might have the effect you are concerned about, but I would expect-- having used your WSM for a year-- that you probably have a good idea of how to compensate with your vent adjustments. Somewhere on the website here, there is a link to charts of meat cuts with their American names. You may be able to print them and bring them to your butcher to help you get what you are looking for.

Hey there Tore...

I have Beech all around me too, but i never tried to smoke with it yet.
Could you describe the flavour and does it come any close to hickory ?

My Hickory is running out fast, and i´m using oak more and more.
Maybe a mix of Hickory and Beech wouldnt be too bad...
Guess that means i have to light em up tomorrrow ! Wohooo, found a reason... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Don Marco

Wow you are fast!
I didn't expect to get a responce so quick, just checked in to see that my post was in. I've been reading these pages for a long time but never posted before.
Thanks for the links to the meatcharts, they're downloaded and printed out all ready!
I do know how to adjust the vents, thanks to the excellent "The Virtual Weber Bullet" pages which was my gateway to the barbequeing experience.
Beechwood, I have to say that describing taste is not my forte. Mostly I use beech in combination with oak and it tastes great with pork which is what I usually cook.
When I make spareribs I trim of quite a bit of fat and when I have the time I mix this with pork and a little beef and make my own saucages. Cooking these is the only time I've used solely beech. I was advised by my lokal butcher to do so when I bought guts for the casings. It tastes wonderful and I can recommend it to those wanting to be a little adventurous.

Tore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back