city chicken

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Kevin, this sounds delicious and different. Did you use butt, tenderloin, or loin for this?
I used center loin. It was staring at me when I bought butt for Buckboard today. It came out dense (as you'd expect with center) but not dry (a crisp coating helps here). An alternative would be blade-end loin.

Kevin,

Great recipe! I cooked it yesterday, and it was a huge success. I used boneless loin ribs (as they are called in publix). I didn't use quite as much butter as you called for, and because I was doing 3 lbs of meat, I used about 2 cups of stock along with about 2/3 cup of milk.

I used only one onion this time, but I think I'll use more next time. Even my picky 12 year old ate the stuff, so good job and thanks.

Craig

Kevin, sounds great. Next time I make it I'm going with your recipe and I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks again.

Im going to have to try this recipe. I went to college in Michigan and several polish restaraunts served this. Its delicious, and mashed potatoes are a must. Now when I get it its a special treat. Be warned, it definately isnt health food.

OMG... My Gramma used to cook City Chicken when I was but a mere Lad... Have'nt thought about it in YEARS...
icon_biggrin.gif

Jim, I want to try this one. Been following this thread since it was first posted. Never heard of City Chicken in these parts. Kevin posted a nice recipe, which sounds great to me. Which one were you reffering to? Ruby has the pics and what she used and Sonny posted a recipe. Which one is spot on in your book? TIA

Bryan, this to me is the most authentic polish version...Id leave out thr cracker meal and just use seasoned flour (salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder) to dredge.

City Chicken (not really chicken at all)
1/2 lb. pork
1/2 lb. veal
1 egg, beaten
Bread crumbs (seasoned if you want)
1 c. milk

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut pork and veal into 1" cubes. Thread on bamboo or wooden skewers, alternating chunks of pork and veal. Dip the skewers in the egg, then the bread crumbs, to coat. Saute until browned.

Put skewers in a baking pan, and add milk. Cover in foil, and bake about 1 hour.

Note: Id also add some thinly sliced onions to the pan when putting in the oven.

During the depression, chicken was more expensive than pork. So pork and veal were substituted for and "passed off" as chicken. The pork and veal are alternated on a wooden skewer such that it resembles a chicken leg.

Back