cider vinegar question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Wittman

When using cider vinegar does it create a "vinegar like" taste? I used it by following the chicken on a throne recipe and I did not like the vinegar taste. I want to try the mr. brown pork butt and don't know if I should use cider vinegar in the mop.

The Chicken On A Throne article on the website calls for basting with apple juice, rather than vinegar, the intent being-- I believe-- to impart a sweetness along with the moisture of the baste. I have used cider vinegar-based mops on pork and detect no residual vinegar taste.

I focused on your question about vinegar mops, and failed to note the recipe called for vinegar in the injection and the can, neither of which I think I would do.

I don't think I will add to the injection liquid or can again. The chicken was very juicy but had a strong vinegar taste. Sounds like, It is fine in the mop. Thanks again, Doug.

Vinegar goes very well with pork. It brings out a clean taste. The vinegar based Carolina sauces are my family favorites.

Keith
I used my WSM for the first time last week and used the Mr. Brown recipe too. I have to admit though that I didn't use the mop and it still came out great. The rub was fantastic in itself and produced a delicious bark which my family fought over.

If you are vinegar sensitive, you can safely leave out the mop.

Just remember some folks like Heinz are sneeky. The small glass botles are the real thing the gallon jug is "Flavor".
I only buy gallon jugs of the real deal.
HTH,

Konrad, they'll sneak that "apple cider flavored vinegar" past you into the smaller glass bottles too. You have to look at them closely to see the difference. They're side by side on the shelf, and unless you're paying attention to the fine print on the label, they look just alike. I honestly didn't know that one was just flavored one was real until about a year ago. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back