CI halibut with acorn squash and ‘gus

Brett, tell me more about the veggies.
I have never done an asparagus like that and haven’t had a butternut squash in years.
That plate looks freaking awesome.

Up here most of us COB’s either catch our own fish or shop on Tribal Land.
The current price for locals on halibut is $6.40 per pound and depending on what type of salmon $2-5 per pound.
Tourists pay more though.

My mom has me hauling fish on my flight back home next week.

Attachments

• 65D476C5-E0AE-4CEC-B5F7-182B06BB67F6.jpeg
    65D476C5-E0AE-4CEC-B5F7-182B06BB67F6.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 12
  • BD7099BB-0B8B-4F69-80F1-29B30B1BA629.jpeg
    BD7099BB-0B8B-4F69-80F1-29B30B1BA629.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 28B28D59-69B7-43ED-AAD8-BB1C587ACAD0.jpeg
    28B28D59-69B7-43ED-AAD8-BB1C587ACAD0.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 12
Brett, tell me more about the veggies.
I have never done an asparagus like that and haven’t had a butternut squash in years.
That plate looks freaking awesome.

Up here most of us COB’s either catch our own fish or shop on Tribal Land.
The current price for locals on halibut is $6.40 per pound and depending on what type of salmon $2-5 per pound.
Tourists pay more though.

My mom has me hauling fish on my flight back home next week.
The asparagus are grilled over JD. SPG EVOO and direct heat. When done, a squeeze of lemon (I used grilled charred lemon as grilling lemon makes it a little sweeter and better flavor). Then drizzle the Gus when plated with high quality EVOO and sprinkle pecorino or Reggiano cheese for a little extra umami flavor.

The acorn squash is the stem top cut off, then halved, deseeded, and placed in a microwave safe bowl with 1/4 cup water and plastic wrapped. Cooked on high for 6 minutes or until the skin just presses tender. Let rest, still sealed for 5 minutes. Scoop out the acorn squash with a spoon and enjoy. Low carb, low sugar and very healthy.

This was a 5⭐️ meal here. The hali was excellent. Unfortunately, I get to pay $19# at Costco. But I don’t care. It’s worth it at my home restaurant and I can drink as much wine with it as I like.

Our favorite squashes are acorn and kubocha. They both steam up well. And taste great.

I’m envious of your pics. Are you in Victoria BC? Are you coming back to the Bay? Heck, I’d pay you for some. I’m outside Sacramento if you’re coming this way…..

Last edited:
I’m across the water from Victoria and the San Juan’s on Sequim Bay.
Even though my addy says Sequim (which is a 15 minute drive) the closest town is Blyn and they are booming with a population of 101.

My niece had a place in Granite Bay.
Are you close to there?

Attachments

• D6170412-2A14-457B-9F63-5E7EC7952FB8.jpeg
    D6170412-2A14-457B-9F63-5E7EC7952FB8.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 5
I’m across the water from Victoria and the San Juan’s on Sequim Bay.
Even though my addy says Sequim (which is a 15 minute drive) the closest town is Blyn and they are booming with a population of 101.

My niece had a place in Granite Bay.
Are you close to there?
Yes, Granite Bay is the other side of Folsom Lake which is across from Folsom/El Dorado Hills.

We were in Victoria for our AK cruise last summer. Very beautiful city. It’s on our list to vacation there.

Last edited:
I’ve been doing acorn squash in the oven while everything else grills, start that about 45 minutes before everything else.
Top it as you do, halve and scoop seeds, cut side down in a baking dish of appropriate size, add about an inch of apple cider and adjust spices with nutmeg and/or cinnamon, etc., bake between 350-400 depending on how quickly you want it. I’ve been running 375 about 40-45 minutes. Carefully lift the halves out and flip into a bowl(for support) and a bit of salt and pepper with butter. It’s nice to have a side with that kind of flavor return without feeling like I have to fuss with it!

Acorn squaah can be microwaved. 20-25 minutes in dish with a bit of water.

Oven just as easy. Throw it in cutside down. Oiled or buttered on edges. Flip over add butter wait until hungry

Back