Chunkin' wood

Sam Un

Hey all,

I bought some small logs/ big branches of apple, cherry, and oak that are about 2 feet long and 3 to 7 inches in diameter.

I tried using my pruner for the smaller branches and the branches were to hard so I used my miter saw which worked pretty well.

What do you guys use to turn logs/ big branches into chunks?

I split logs as fine as I can with hatchet and then cut them into chunks with my table saw.

miter saw sounds good. I wouldn't recommend a circular saw, when my bro-in-law told me he does them that way, I stopped giving him whole logs.

i use my chain saw and cut 2-3 inch wide discs off the end of logs then split them into about 2-3 inch chunks with an axe.

Depends the size of the branches/logs. For small stuff up to 4" across, I'll use the DeWalt 12" compound miter saw. For the bigger stuff, I fire up the Poulan and have at it. Then split it with a hand/campers axe. I don't make my chunks real short like what you buy. The length of my chunks are in the 4-6" long range and not as thick as stroe bought. Smoke wood is about 1-1.5" X 1-1.5" X 4-6" HTH

Man,I'm glad I saw this thread. One of my co-workers had a couple trees blown down in his yard a week or so ago. He told me that one was a hickory tree,and would I like some? DUH! He's gonna bring me about 20 2' logs next week. YES!! Is it better to dry them,then split them,or split first? Thanks in advance for any advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Is it better to dry them,then split them,or split first? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most wood splits a whole lot easier when wet/green than when dry. Esp Hickory and Oak, as they get very stringy when dry.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks,Bryan. Of course,I haven't split fire wood in almost 30 years! I'm sure I'll get back in the swing of things quickly.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it better to dry them,then split them,or split first? Thanks in advance for any advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And split wood will dry faster so you can use it sooner.

Ray

Back