Chuck

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
Hey folks. My wife, knowing I wanted to smoke my first brisket, thought she was buying one. So she was quite surprised when I was unloading groceries and said (with no guile), "I see you got a chuck roast. What are we going to make with that?" "CHUCK ROAST! OH NO!," she replied. "I thought I was buying a brisket. They must have been in the same case."

My goal is to save the day by coming up with a great way to cook the chuck, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Can a chuck roast be smoked like a brisket?

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Can a chuck roast be smoked like a brisket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very much so, they're excellent IMHO! Stogie has a great recipe here. Scroll down to 'chuck roast'. You can also check out Kevin's version here. They're easy to cook and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Wildrick:
My goal is to save the day by coming up with a great way to cook the chuck, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Can a chuck roast be smoked like a brisket?

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff you can not only save the day, you can be pleasantly surprised too!!!

Cook as you would a butt. At 165º foil and continue to cook until it hits 195º. At that point 'check' for doneness by sticking a fork in it and give it a twist, continue to do this every 5º until it passes the fork twist test. Once you can easily twist the fork, let them rest for at least a couple hours in a dry cooler. Chucks in my opinion need the rest in my opinion. Then pull as you would a butt. The meat on the chucks is stringy and veiny and it will take a little longer to pull than a butt and you may have to run a knife across the pulled meat as to not to have long stringy pieces. However, shredded chuck is worth every bit of the effort and time it takes to cook in my opinion!

I've heard about the 3hr lb rule but have never had one take that long.

Here's a recent 8.5lber.

2001256938913132171_fs.jpg
2001256523735401561_fs.jpg
2006299033782785847_fs.jpg
2006237236170322431_fs.jpg
2006218068617037962_fs.jpg

Larry,
I love BBQ Beef sandwiches! That is on the Money-the beef looks perfectly done. How long did the 8.5 lber take to smoke?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jefferey:
Larry,
I love BBQ Beef sandwiches! That is on the Money-the beef looks perfectly done. How long did the 8.5 lber take to smoke? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jeff! It took right around 15 hours and then rested for about 3 more hours before pulling.

Back