Chuck Steak Advice

davidb

TVWBB Member
Need some ideas. My wife came home yesterday and announced she had bought 2 2-lb Chuck steaks on sale and wanted me to grill them. You can imagine my glee....a forced smile and faint "Thank you honey". She expounded further on her idea stating she wanted me to cook them slow on the Performer so they would turn nice an tender but not too smokey.
The only approach that comes to mind is to truss them together forming a roll, indirect at 250 - 300° for maybe an hour or 2, foil for 1 then back to and additional 1 un-foiled. Can't even imagine what flavor direction to take with a rub. Don't know, kinda lost and need some help.

Thanks in advance.

I cooked one just like you would a pork butt and made some pulled beef with it. Lots of info on here to make it.

One suggestion---------
Don't tie them. Indirect 250-300* until they get to 160. Place in a disposable pan on top of some sliced up peppers, onions and garlic. Add some liquid, beer works. Cover the pan with foil. Continue to cook until the meat is fall apart tender and the liquid has cooked down. Give yourself some time, it takes a while. As for rub, use what you like. Salt and pepper works fine

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...c&cdra=Y&m=383102492

I've tried this. It's good

I do seven bone chuck steaks. Marinade overnight and grill like a steak to med rare. Great flavor and fairly tender if not over cooked.

Thanks Brian.
The reason for my less than enthusiastic response to my wife was a very resent attempt at grilling a chuck eye steak. Attempted to marinate, grill and slice thin like a Flank. It only marinated for 2 hours, and as your point out it probably would have been more successful left to marinate overnight.

'Chuck steak' is too generic a term. A 'steak' is any crosscut roast. Depending on the roast, the steaks might or might not cook like a tender steak - or it might be better braised.

Back