Chuck Rollin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian H

TVWBB Fan
One of the remaining things I havent done on the WSM. Picked one up (18lbs) last night at Sam's ($2.02/lb). When the guy handed it to me, the lady checking out the pork chops looked at me like I had 4 heads.
icon_biggrin.gif
Very little trimming required, rubbed it down with brisket rub and tied it up. Wife walked in kitchen and also gave me the same look.
icon_biggrin.gif
This beast is going on around 7:00 p.m.. Planning on pecan and a touch of hickory unless someone has other suggestion. I know one thing- I'm gonna be freezing and eating BBQ beef for a while. Anyone put this in chili or soups?

My 19.something lb. chuck roll was $3.49/lb at my local grocer... Guess I'll be heading to Sam's next time. Can't wait for some chuck roll lovin'!
icon_smile.gif

~Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian H:
I know one thing- I'm gonna be freezing and eating BBQ beef for a while. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got that right!

~Dave

Mine was $1.98 per pound from the local Key Food. I brought the butcher a food saver bag of the cooked meat so that he will continue to take good care of me!!
icon_wink.gif
I used some left over last week as a topping on a pizza...it was delicious!!

I just got that beast onto the WSM. Wheew!! Had to saw it in half in order to do so. Man, need to restock on the foodsaver rolls. My first chuck roll and my first time to use the bottom rack.
icon_redface.gif

~Dave

Dave,

Good to hear there's another pecan fan out there. I know it goes against tradition, but pecan does well with pork and beef. A little white oak goes well in place of the hickory.

Greg,

Yeah, I hear you. I've gotten some nice large limbs (6 - 8 inches in diameter), de-barked them, and let them dry in my garage. In Arizona, your garage is just like a kiln -- hot and dry. Anyway, the chunks work really well and I think I'm going back for some more. Who would have guessed that there is a 50+ year old pecan orchard in Phoenix/Tempe? It's not being tended as an orchard (outdoor patio restaurant and park) but the wood is great.

Greg, I rubbed a chuck ROAST with the taco seasoning, not the ROLL. Chuck ROAST was only 5lbs. :P

Brian, at 18lbs, definately an overnighter. Your choice of smoke wood sounds great! I am gonna try that next time.

Rath *gotta do pork soon*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back