Chuck Roll vs Brisket

cdvickers

Being a huge fan of Brisket, I just read about smoking a whole Chuck Roll. I wanted to know what the differences are, and how they compare. My Mom is a huge fan of BBQ Beef so I was going to make her a Brisket this weekend, but I am starting to lean towards the chuck roll. Any thoughts?

Hey thanks, let me ask this question. How do cooking times compare? I know if will take longer to cook a bigger Chuck Roll, but is it about the same amount of time per pound as a Brisket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cdvickers:
Hey thanks, let me ask this question. How do cooking times compare? I know if will take longer to cook a bigger Chuck Roll, but is it about the same amount of time per pound as a Brisket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Chuck takes much longer to cook. 3 hours a pound! If you get a chuck roll, why not cut it down? The 3lb chuck roast I bought at the store took 9 hours to cook. Not sure how much a roll weighs, but thats got to be one longggggggg cook!

Actually, small chuck roasts take 3 hrs / lb to cook - they need that time for the connective tissues to break down. A big ol' chuck roll won't need to go that many hrs / lb to be ready to pull. Check out Chris' take on it here.

Chuck rolls take around the same as brisket, about 1-1.5 hours/lb (I plan a bit more than 1.25). Chris's took just about an hour/lb as he notes in his recipe. I'm not sure I've had one come off quite that quickly (relatively speaking); mine always seem to be more like an hour and twenty or thereabouts.

I've done many O Chuck Rolls. The 1-1.5 hrs per lb is a very good estimate for time. Just an FYI when buying one to do on the WSM becareful on the length of the roll you are buying. I stick to rolls in the 15-18 lb range and length has not been an issue. I get my rolls at BJ's and the biggest one i saw was 35 lbs and noway was that going in the WSM in one piece.
icon_eek.gif
Some of the rolls though can be quite long. If you happen to get one that's too long you can always cut it, but i like to keep them whole. Makes for a very impressive chunk O meat. I foil mine at 170 and take them to 195 degrees. There's alot more veins and junk in them verses Butts so figure on the extra time when pulling. I get very anal about trying to remove it all so YMMV. Enjoy
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back