Chuck Roll or Shoulder Clod

Todd D.

TVWBB Super Fan
Throwing a party next weekend, and rather than the usual pork butt and brisket, I've been asked to do beef. Would appreciate any input on differences between doing a chuck roll or a shoulder clod. Does one taste particularly better than the other? Significant cost differences? I see that chuck rolls run around 15 pounds. How much does the clod typically weigh? At this point, I think the plan will be to shred it for pulled beef sandwiches.
Appreciate any helpful insights!
icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps. BBQU just did a show on clod last week.

BBQ U: New Face of Beef

TEXAS CLOD
With Poblano Corn Relish

Source: BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen (Workman Publishing, 2003)
Method: Indirect
Yield: Serves 25 to 30

3/4 cup salt
1/4 cup cracked black peppercorns
2 to 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 beef clod (13 to 15 pounds)
Kreuz's Sides (see below)

You'll also need:
15 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably oak), soaked for 1 hour in water to cover,
then drained

1. Place the salt, peppercorns, and cayenne in a small bowl and stir to mix. (Actually, your fingers work better for mixing the rub than a spoon or whisk does.)

2. Generously sprinkle the rub over all sides of the clod, patting it onto the meat with your fingertips.

3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low. If using a gas grill, place 4 cups of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center, preheat the grill to medium-low, then toss 1-1/2 cups of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.

4. When ready to cook, place the clod, fat side up, in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan and away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the clod until darkly browned and cooked through, 8 to 9 hours. To test for doneness, use an instant-read meat thermometer: The internal temperature should be between 190 and 195 degrees F. for well-done, which is the way clod is usually served. If the outside starts to burn, cover it loosely with aluminum foil. If using a gas grill, every 2 hours you'll need to add 4 cups of wood chips or chunks. If using a charcoal grill, every hour you'll need to add 12 fresh coals and 3/4 cup of wood chips or chunks to each side.

5. Transfer the grilled clod to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes, then thinly slice it across the grain with a sharp knife.

VARIATION: You can also grill a boneless rib roast this way. Use about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the rub to season a 4- to 5-pound one. It will take 1-1/2 to 2 hours for it to cook using the indirect method. The rub you have left over will keep for at least 6 months stored in an airtight container away from heat and light.

Now About Those Sides

Over the years, a series of accompaniments have come to be associated with Kreuz Market in Lockhart, Texas. If you want to be completely legitimate when preparing Texas Clod, just arrange everything that follows in bowls or on trays and serve them along with the beef:

Puffy white bread (such as ButterKrust)
Saltine crackers
Sour pickles
Sweet pickles
Pickled jalapenos
Thick slices of white onion
Slices of peeled avocado
Slices of tomato
Thin (1/4 inch) slabs of orange Wisconsin cheddar cheese or jalapeno Jack cheese

© 2006 Steven Raichlen | site design Benjamin Wilchfort

My wife saw that episode last week as well, so she wants me to do the clod, but just wondering what the differences are between it and the chuck roll?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd D.:
Throwing a party next weekend, and rather than the usual pork butt and brisket, I've been asked to do beef. Would appreciate any input on differences between doing a chuck roll or a shoulder clod. Does one taste particularly better than the other? Significant cost differences? I see that chuck rolls run around 15 pounds. How much does the clod typically weigh? At this point, I think the plan will be to shred it for pulled beef sandwiches.
Appreciate any helpful insights!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chuck Rolls go in the 15 -32lb range and cost $1.99 lb at my BJ's.
Clods are smaller and run in the 8-15lb range and cost $2.79lb at my BJ's.
I have never done a clod.
The roll's are a great cook to do, they are the same cut as a pork butt only it's beef. I usually do a 18lb chuck roll and it takes right around 21 hrs to cook. They do have quite a bit of fat, sinew and veins in them so it does take a little longer to pull em because i try to get all that crap out.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I usually do a 18lb chuck roll and it takes right around 21 hrs to cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you foil at 160-165 as suggested on the cooking topics page? I noticed the cook Chris did took 15 hours on a 16#, vs 21 hours on your 18#, so I'm assuming the difference is he foiled and you didn't? Also assuming that a chuck roll spends a significant amount of time at a plateau where the fat melts like pork butts and brisket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd D.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I usually do a 18lb chuck roll and it takes right around 21 hrs to cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you foil at 160-165 as suggested on the cooking topics page? I noticed the cook Chris did took 15 hours on a 16#, vs 21 hours on your 18#, so I'm assuming the difference is he foiled and you didn't? Also assuming that a chuck roll spends a significant amount of time at a plateau where the fat melts like pork butts and brisket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Todd, Chuck rolls vary in shape and that's what really determines the cook time. Still mad at myself for not going home and getting my camera the time BJ's had a 32lb roll in the case.
icon_eek.gif
Some are on the long thin side while others can be short and quite thick, I've seen some close to 12" thick while others are 19-20" long and about 6-8" thick. I do foil but usaully later in the game so I don't get as much fat collecting in the foil, somewhere in the 170-175 range just depends when I check it, and bring myself to foiling that beast. Insulated rubber gloves are the ticket for that ordeal.
icon_wink.gif
Def easier with 2 people but I have done the foiling by myself already.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bryan,
Thanks for the info! I have a chuck roll on order with a local wholesaler and will be putting it on Friday evening. Looking forward to it!

Todd, No problem, anything else you have a question about I'll do my best to answer. Here's 2 pics of one roll from awhile back. In the truck for the ride home from BJ's and the pic of it sitting on the smooth top range gives you a idea of it's size. Chuck Roll pics

A much faster and more manageable cook is to cook one or more chuck roasts.

The chuck roast is a piece of the clod/roll. You can buy these already cut in 2-5 pound pieces or your butcher should be able to cut these to the size of your liking.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Reyes:
A much faster and more manageable cook is to cook a chuck roast.

Your butcher should be able to cut these to the size of your liking versus buying a complete cyro piece.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A chuck roll is a manageable cook and it's tons O fun. How many have you cooked?
Anybody with a knife can cut them up but what fun would that be.
icon_confused.gif
See John, you forgot about the WOW! factor.
icon_wink.gif

Personal preferences, I guess.

Some advantages.
1. Faster cook. 5-7 hour high temp cook time versus 18+ hours.

2. More flavors (wet and dry rub) can be added to the meat because of more surface area.

3. Smaller size=easy to handle and foil and trim.

But your right the WOW factor goes to the Shoulder clod/roll, for those that care.

John

I did a 23 lb chuck roll a few weeks back.

I cut it into three large chunks, and the cook took 19 hours.

The yield was around 11-12 lbs.

Great stuff, no matter how many pieces you decide to do.

My chuck roll is 24 pounds, and similar in size/shape to the pictures Bryan S posted. Figured I'd cut it into 2 12# pieces. Planning on eating at 4pm on Saturday, so just trying to figure when I should put it on this evening, so asking again for any opinions on time/temp to cook at.
225 grate temp good, or should I go higher? Figure I'll foil around 175. Using a Stoker, so ramping the temp up higher Saturday morning wouldn't be a problem if needed. Planning at least an hour to hour and a half rest so I can get ABTs on.
Thanks again for all advice!

I cook em at 235 with the Guru. Figure on 16-18 hrs pending how much fat is is it, could go longer. I always use the brisket cook time for a chuck roll about 1 hr 15 min to 1.5 hrs per lb.
If needed you can crank it up after foiling to 250+. HTH

I cut the 24 pounds into roughly two equal portions. Currently running at 225 grate with the Stoker. One is showing 165 already, but I haven't bothered with moving the probe as I figure it will sit for quite awhile at that temp. I'll check things again in the morning and foil and/or ramp the temp up as needed. Should have plenty of time since we aren't eating until 4:00.

Also using the Guru silver bullet jacket for the first time (father's day gift from my wife). Figured lows in the low 40's was a good enough excuse to try it out
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
I did a 23 lb chuck roll a few weeks back.

I cut it into three large chunks, and the cook took 19 hours.

The yield was around 11-12 lbs.

Great stuff, no matter how many pieces you decide to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig - You yeilded 12# finish product from 23# of uncooked meat? Is there really 50% waste from a chuck roll? That seems a bit excessive (but then I've never cooked one either).

Bill

Back