Chuck Roll & Butts: The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I started a 22.5lb Chuck Roll & 2-8lb butts last night around 8pm. Now that school is back in and I have a new job where I can't work from home (yet) I hope to do big cooks on the weekends and freeze portions to make for a few easy suppers through the week. Frankly, I think the cost of butts makes this an economical way to feed a family of six great meat often.

I stood the two butts up on the long edge on the top grate, leaned them against one another and attached the top with skewers. I made two foil spacers 1" x 3" and put one near each end to keep the meat from touching. I think I could do up to four on the short edge this way, in sort of a meat teepee.

The CR was expertly hand tied by the butcher, I should have taken a pic. It's strange, I ordered on the phone from work and asked for it untied. They called back my home number later and asked my wife (who was charged with picking it up) if we wanted this monster roast tied since it was so big, and she said yes.
banghead.gif
. There was one string every 3/4". I decided to remove most but not all of the strings so as not to rip all the bark off when it was done. It ended up working out really well, since the CR fit beautifully on the lower rack.

Everything has gone really well, except the middle of the night water pan fill. Bleary-eyed and holding a flashlight with my chin & shoulder I overfilled and caused an ash sh@t storm
icon_frown.gif
. I'll do my best to dust off what I can
yuck.gif
icon_frown.gif
Still no brinkman pan, I'm gonna have to break down and order one online from a US vendor I think.

I'm expecting the CR to hit 160 at about noon today, then it is going into a big roaster (no foil) with a tray to elevate it from drippings and oven at 240F to target temp of 195F. The tray has holes in the bottom and handles to make lifting CR in and out a breeze. Once the CR is removed I will begin the butt mopping.

Going to peruse the sauce recipes and try making a vinegar sauce. The butt rub and sop is Mr. Brown, substituting Chipotle Chile powder for the cayenne. Smoke wood was mostly birch with some mesquite. Have any sauce suggestions for me?

For sauces I've made four: North Carolina vinegar sauce, NC Golden Mustard sauce, Chipotle Mayonnaise (thanks Bryan s), and the recently posted Bull's Eye clone. Almost supper time! Man, that CR smells gooooood! <apologies to Bryan S
icon_wink.gif
>. Butts are still poking along around 178F at the 21 hour mark. Arg. I cna't win with these without foiling, which I've decided I don't care to do with the butts.

Why not just fill your water pan with sand?

Otherwise go to Hawgeyes and search for the Brinkman CHARCOAL pan - I believe you want the charcoal pan, not the water pan.

I was going to get one, but I've been using sand and just haven't gotten around to getting one.

yeah, the charcoal pan .... I'll try sand someday, thanks stl-rich

Here are the pics. Butts ended up taking 24.5 hours to reach 200F, last couple of hours in the oven. CR was 21.5 hrs to reach 185F-190F, last couple of hours were in the oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back