Chuck Roast

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
Hey folks... I'm looking to do a bone-in chuck roast (not roll). Probably about 5-6 pounds. I'm thinking I will do it in a similar vein that Chris has for the chuck roll in the cooking section. Has anyone done a roast along these lines? My wife doesn't like pork (shameful, I know), so I'd like to cook this up in a pulled pork sort of fashion.

what are the broad guidelines on time to smoke for chuck roast? I'm guessing 2 hr/pound, but have no experience.

Also... to foil or not to foil? While I definitely don't want it to be greasy, I do want it to be moist. Do you think I need foil toward the end?

Last, thoughts on a finishing sauce to serve on the side? I'll leave the vinegar based sauces for the pork... a normal tomato-based?

The best direction I can point you is to do an Advanced Search here in the forum on chuck roast and specify Kevin Taylor as the author. That is your best shot at distilling the info you seek.

His web page with a small feature on the subject is here.

The last one I did I cooked right along side a similar sized pork butt using a modified Pork Butt - Slathered With Mustard & Rub recipe. Both turned out great although I prefer the taste of the pork.
I foiled mine for the last 1½ hours or so just to speed up the process a little (I was getting hungry).

I found that mixing the two meats after pulling made a better sandwich than beef alone. Served both with Jack Daniels BBQ sauce on the side.

Mark

I've made Kevin's version several times and they turn out very good. Just follow his directions. The meat will pull apart just like a Boston butt does, as a matter of fact I've kind of started liking them better than the butts.

An observation:

It's kind of a red wine, white wine thing to me.

New wine drinkers often drink white wine. But many of these end up preferring the full bodied red wines.

Like red over white wines I think beef shoulder is more intense, especially the impact of the beef fat.

I still like pork shoulder better but I've noticed some of the Q vets prefer beef.

Back