Chuck Roast and Pork Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5.5 lb Chuck Roast (nicely marbled, lots of fat) and a 6 lb Boston Butt I'd like to cook this weekend.

I've got a couple of commercial rubs I'm going to try. TexasBBQRub (from TexasBBQRub.com) on the Chuck and Zach's (from Allied Kenco I think) on the butt. Should I rub the night before or a couple hours before I put them in the WSM?

I was thinking that the Chuck would go in the bottom rack and the butt on the top. I'm going to follow Stogie's advice from his web site and shoot for 3 hrs/lb on the chuck, and use my ET-73 in the butt.

Last time I did butts, I foiled at 170 and took them off at 200 and really liked the results. I'm thinking I'll foil the Chuck at about the 12 hour mark.

Can I baste both of these with an apple juice spray?

I'm still new at this so I'm checking to see if anyone sees any major flaws in my plan. Comments and suggestions welcome and appreciated as always.

The only thing to consider is by foiling the Butt at 170? you are missing out on bark formation. You can get great results by waiting until the butt reaches 195?, then foiling and hold in a dry cooler for a few hours. You will end up with the fat rendered and more bark.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back