Christmas Rib Roast

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
This is our traditional Christmas dinner. This is an 11lb CAB bone in rib roast. I made a paste with worcestershire, fresh minced garlic, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Brought to room temperature and cooked at 200º until the internal temperature hit 128º, then tented with foil and let rest for 1 hour before serving. The temperature rose 1º and stayed at 129º until served.

This first pic will give you guys a chuckle.....hopefully these are not the sazme ones they use for poultry, I think 180º rib roast would be unedible! Needless to say it was removed prior to cooking. Did anyone elses rib roast have a pop up timer in it?

IMG_9871.jpg
IMG_9882.jpg
IMG_9887.jpg
IMG_9888.jpg
IMG_9891.jpg

Larry - that looks great! I did a 7 lb rib rost for Christmas too. I pulled it at 130 and rested for 20 mins under foil and it raised to 135. Mine had more pink in the middle and more done on the edges. It tasted great, but I'd like to get the more uniform pink throughout that you got. I'm guessing I should have pulled it earlier and rested it longer like you did. I cooked at 300 and also thought I might have tried cooking it lower and longer.

Originally posted by Dan J:
Larry - that looks great! I did a 7 lb rib rost for Christmas too. I pulled it at 130 and rested for 20 mins under foil and it raised to 135. Mine had more pink in the middle and more done on the edges. It tasted great, but I'd like to get the more uniform pink throughout that you got. I'm guessing I should have pulled it earlier and rested it longer like you did. I cooked at 300 and also thought I might have tried cooking it lower and longer.

Dan the grey outter edges come from higher cooking temperature, meaning the outside of the roast are obviously cooking longer as the center warms. Room temp meat and lower temperatures will give you a more uniform doneness throughout the roast.

I brought this roast to room temp, probably sitting on the counter for a little over an hour and then cooked at 200º the entire cook.

Your roast also rose 5º after you pulled it, this is also due to higher cooking temps, since the outside of the roast was far hotter than the center.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by michele p:
Just perfect Larry! Your family is very lucky to have such a great chef in the house.
Did Otis get any?
icon_wink.gif

Thank you Michele!

Otis always eats like a King!
icon_biggrin.gif
But he know's who the Alpha Wolfe is!
icon_eek.gif

Larry,

How long did you cook it?

Also, would you be willing to give up your recipe/proportions on your paste?

Originally posted by Chuck R:
Larry,

How long did you cook it?

Also, would you be willing to give up your recipe/proportions on your paste?

Chuck it took about 6 hours to finish. I don't have a recipe for the paste, I just went by eye and what I thought would taste good. Sorry

Larry, thank you. Christmas day, I cooked a 13.5 pound standing rib roast, anticipating 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours, but it was done in 2 1/2. The Bride was not pleased when I told her it was done three hours early. I cooked at 350. I think I’ll do it your way next time. Thanks again.

Ha! I did the same thing. My Christmas standing rib roast only cooked for 2.5 hours too high heat. I was quite shocked when I had to take it off and the misses was about 2 hours shy of having anything remotely completed.

I will MOST surely do it this way next time as I personally want a more uniform finish... Mine as well was quite done on the outside and perfect in the middle for me... I'd rather the whole dang thing come out with such perfection!

Thanks Larry! I think we're having fried bologna tonight. Now I have to think about this!

great post. thanks larry. that looks awesome. i have been doing a pork rib roast for many christmas dinners (family request) but next year i am doing this!

Back