Christmas List

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I need some help in making a list for Santa. I am getting my WSM and I obviously need some accessories for it. What do you all think are the must haves? I have checked out the accesory page here and some specific brand favorites for those would be nice.
Thanks,
Scot

Scott, there are a few things I think are a must for a beginner on the WSM... Get the Weber charcoal chimney and a remote thermometer... The chimney is sooo good at getting the perfect fire started... I have the Nu-Temp 701 with 2 remotes... I put one in a potato and put it on the top grid to monitor that temperature. I then put the other in the meat I am smoking to tell me when to pull it off the grill... When I first got my WSM I didn't have the thermometers... All the guessing and good advice from the good people on this board still can't tell you when your meat is at the right tewmperature... Sure helps take the guess work out of it and sure helps in making sure the WSM does what it does best !!!
Hey, a couple more things... Get a rib rack !! Perfect for doing "The Best Ribs in the Universe" off this web site... Also, I found a couple shaker bottles from Wal Mart came in handy... You will be trying several different rubs and need the shakers to apply them with... Also, get you a long handled pair of tongs, for moving charcoal or meat around... I also found a gardening water pot, or a long funnel for adding oil to your car comes in handy when adding water to the water pan... I have the bigger Brinkman water pan that I use when smoking butts or a brisket - you may want to get it someday, but don't need it to get started...
I'm sure there are many other things that people will recommend, but I think these are the first things to get...

Good luck !!

Hey Scott!

I agree with Gary..the single most important addition is a good thermometer. I prefer the Polder's...don't worry about the brand here, just look for something under $20. But many like the lid mounted as well. Your choice...just get one!

I would add the following....

Good pair of fireproof gloves. I am delighted with a brand called "Grilla"...these come up to my elbows and allow me to pick up hot coals and hot butts and briskets! They sell for around $10-12.

A side table for setting next to the smoker..I use a 2 tiered plastic unit that breaks down and allows me to carry to competitions. This is where I put all my "gadgets".

Along with the shakers, get a few squirt bottles for your sauces...nice cheap stocking stuffer. I never sauce my meats, I prefer to let the guests use a variety of them. We used to "paint" the sauce on with paint brushes but I am finding that these squirt bottles are even better. You will most likely have to snip the ends to accomodate any large spices. I also use the removable diskette labels to label each sauce. They can be removed easily after using.

As long as you are at it, why not upgrade the ole spice cabinet??? After all, rubs are very important!

I have found my burr grinder to be one of the best purchases I have made. About $35-45 and you can then start buying your spices "whole" and grind them as you need them. Much more taste.

Also, with the WSM you can now dry your own garlic and peppers and you need something to grind them up. Make your own chili powder, etc.

I could go on, but will let others play the wishing game as well!

Have fun Scot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Good pair of fireproof gloves. I am delighted with a brand called "Grilla"...these come up to my elbows and allow me to pick up hot coals and hot butts and briskets! They sell for around $10-12. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Kevin,
Are these gloves as washable as neoprene? With Neoprene, one can handle unlit charcoal, rinse in sudsy/clear water and handle butts. Also, can you suggest a source for these fireproof gloves?

Sorry to take this thread off-topic for a second, but gary could you explain how the probe in the potato works? It sounds like an idea I'd like to try.

On the topic of heat-resitant gloves, one of the best BBQ gifts I ever received was a set of welder's gauntlets from an uncle in the trades. Although you wouldn't want to handle food with them on, moving around hot steel pieces or even picking up a handful of preburned briquettes poses no problem at all. This may be something you want to look into.

BTW, the only thing on my list to Santa is a WSM, but with the Canuck buck in the toilet I doubt it will be this year.

Darren, I put the probe through a potato and set the potato on the top grid... The potato keeps the probe from touching the gris and distorting the true temperature of the "air"...
Later,

Hey Darren,

I'm a wannabe, too. I've been "borrowing" a friends offset pit, but it's a little too labor intensive for winter use, in my opinion. Hopefully, Santa brings me a WSM.

On to the potato, I use this trick with the offset, too. Using a Polder or similiar type of thermometer (mine's a Pyrex), shove the probe through a small potato until the end emerges from the other side and place it on the grill, near the meat. This gives you a more accurate reading of the temperature where it counts.

Very important when you're a rookie, like me, trying to use an offset for the first time.

Oh, and Santa, if you're reading this, I've been very good this year. In addition to the WSM, I'd like another thermometer and some of those gloves, please.

Love this website,

Merry Christmas, Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back