Christmas Eve Fresh Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken McCrary

TVWBB Super Fan
I finally found a whole fresh ham. Had the grocery store butcher cut it so I would have the shank and the other piece. Started at 18 lbs but after I skinned and trimmed it down it was right at 16lbs. Put it own at 12:30pm here. Anticipating a 16 - 18 hr cook. Winds are up and temps are dropping in 'Hotlanta. I had to make a Home Depot run this morning to get some plywood to build a wind screen. Will see if it helps.
Best of luck to everyone with their Holiday smokes.

I bought the last one in town. I don't know if they're that popular this year or if all the meat people anticipated not needing many (or any) and didn't order them. I found a 20-pounder but unfortunately the skin was off (I'd rather skin on). It's brining now. Grill-roasting it Christmas morning and putting a rib roast on the kettle. Good luck with your cook and have a great holiday.

Cubans love that Christmas Eve fresh ham (in mojo I think). I've found a couple of fresh hams around here but have been too chicken to do one. Now I've got a dilemma, tho, when I finally decide to take the plunge: do I do it in the WSM, or on that wacky old Ranch kettle that's on its way, or in the brilliant La Caja China, or do I do it on the rotisserie?

Guess I'll have to try 4 of 'em throughout 2005 to see which works best...!

Around here the Cubans pretty much do a whole pig (marinated in mojo and served with same).

I don't have a new, brilliant CC, nor a new used amazing ebay find, nor a deluxe catering package from e-z que so...mine's going in the WSM. You, dear friend, are blessed with having a choice. (I would stick a smiley in here but that doesn't seem to be working). Have a great Chrismas, Susan. Email me sometime (address in profile). I have something I think you'll like.

O no, don't tell me it's another grill! My "collection" is out of control...!

On his show, Raichlen did that xmas eve ham on a a big ol' shiny ranch kettle. First time I ever laid eyes on one! (sigh)

9 1/2 hours and the thing is done. Go figure. I was allowing for the outside temps and the wind thinking it would take a lot longer. Temps came up and held between 220 and 240 for most of the cook. I did however have to load the WSM with lump about 5 1/2 hours in. The Kingsford was holding it's own. I used a full ring with the Minion method. About time the sun started going down and the outside temps started dropping the smoker temps started down. The Maverick was literally doing a countdown before my eyes. I threw in a bunch of lump at that point and temps came back up and were holding in the 230's until I pulled the Ham. Of course I had to check it out. Looks good and tastes better. The only thing I hate is that I will have to refridgerate it overnight for the trip to Grandma's house tomorrow. I have it foiled now and will let it sit for a little bit before it hits the fridge. Will reheat in the oven and slice tomorrow. I'll see if I can remember how to post pics.

Happy Holidays

How does it taste??? Compared to a cured ham, that is. What on earth is it like? I'm so curious to find out, but then worried that I won't like it (why on earth wouldn't I like it??).

Hi Susan,
I personally like a fresh ham much better than a cured ham. The fresh ham tastes more like a pork roast or smoked tenderloin. It has none of the "hammy" taste of a cured ham. You can even think of it as a butt that slices better than it pulls. The only thing pink about it is the smoke ring.
Go ahead and try one. You'll love it

Ken--

Does it taste as goos as it looks?
Mine goes on tomorrow; I'm running higher temps so the cook will be shorter. I love fresh ham. It is just a giant pork roast, Cured ham I can enjoy a slice or two of, maybe use some the next morning with eggs or biscuits--then I'm done with it for a few days, but fresh ham I can eat and eat.

Hi Ken,

Looks really nice. Mind if I ask two questions?

What wood did you smoke with and at what temp did you pull that beast?

I'm doing an 18.5 lb ready to eat tomorrow. (First ham ever) I was figuring on about 9 hours to get it up to 135 - 140 . But if it only took you 9 hours to get it up to the 150s I'm going to need to rethink this cook.

Thanks?

Rob,

What you have and what Ken cooked are two different things. Ken's fresh ham is like a large uncooked pork roast. Your ready-to-eat (as opposed to ready-to-cook which is partially cooked) is ready to eat right out of the package.

If it's ready-to-eat that you're doing then you only want to take it to an internal of 120--more than that and it will dry right out. Since it's already smoked and cooked you need not add any smokewood. If you want to though, go extremely light on it or ot will be over-smoked.

Still can't quite imagine what that beast tastes like, if not hammy. (My mind's gone blank on what pork butt tastes like, so go figure.) Were any kind of rub/marinade/injecions involved?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
Rob,

What you have and what Ken cooked are two different things. Ken's fresh ham is like a large uncooked pork roast. Your ready-to-eat (as opposed to ready-to-cook which is partially cooked) is ready to eat right out of the package.

If it's ready-to-eat that you're doing then you only want to take it to an internal of 120--more than that and it will dry right out. Since it's already smoked and cooked you need not add any smokewood. If you want to though, go extremely light on it or ot will be over-smoked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks K,

I knew I was cooking a difrerent thing than Tom was but now I have a dillema. Jim Minion was suggesting I cook to 135 I think:

Double smoked ham recipe

A fully cooked ham is the same as a ready to eat isn't it?

Maybe since this recipe is injected w/marinade I can take it up to a little higher temp? As long as you don't mind I think I'm gonna post this quest.

I thought you might know that you were doing a different ham than Tom but I was--I don't know--checking to be sure, I guess.

The recipe you posted is a whole 'nother thing. Yes, if injected the internals change--a higher temp is not only possible but sought. This is because the liquid in the injection needs to come to a temp where it will dissipate substantially. You need 125+ for that to work well. It just doesn't move much at lower temps.

As far as posting the question--why would I possibly mind? Anything that you need or want to do to make your cook successful for you makes me happy--I'm sure you feel the same, right?

Kevin thank you very much for your help. Once more I find myself cooking something for the first time I've only rarely eaten and I very much want it to come out well for my neighbors.

Appreciate the advice and Jim M confirmed what you wrote. It's nice to have folks like you and Jim out there willing to help folks out even if this is only cooking.

In the spirit of the season may only good things come to you, your family and friends.

I'll post some pics and let y'all know how it turned out.

Yep, Jim's the best.

Of course you want your ham to come out great for your neighbors and that's what I appreciate so much. It may be 'only cooking' but let's face it--as I'm sure you're aware [or else you wouldn't be concerned], food is such a large part of our lives. Cooking something that others really like is just so cool. Especially during the holidays when our food (with our intent and our focus) is what we give to others.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you have a wonderful holiday as well.

In response to the questions above: It tastes better than it looks. I smoked it using apple wood chunks. I put 6 or 7 chunks because I like a lot of smoke. The apple leaves a much milder flavor than hickory, very nice. I pulled it at 160 and I wouldn't advise going any higher. I trimmed more of the fat off than I probably should have. The meat was plenty moist and not greasy at all. If you've ever lost the fight to a stubborn pork butt you know what I mean about greasy. To be honest, I cheated when I pulled it. I flipped the bad boy over and took a deep sliver of a core sample to make sure it was done through. I flipped it back over, foiled it and today you couldn't tell the difference. We had it for Dinner at my mom's house and I just finshed slicing all that was left. I've still got 6 lbs of sliced meat in the fridge plus some pretty meaty ham bones to give to the MIL for her ham soup.
Sorry for the long post.
As Gomer Pyle used to say "lot's of luck to you and yours".

Hey Ken,

Thanks that's good news. My pit is stocked w/3 chunks apple and 3 chunks cherry.

Glad yours tuned out so well. I'll be lighting my fire at 5AM. Since I've got a ready to eat I'll be pulling her at 135 per his majesty the Baron of Brisket Jim Minion's advice.

Gotta admit I'm really confused about the cook times now though. It took you 30 minutes per lb to get to 160 and I have the same size piece of meat and I'm only shooting for 135.

Think my best strategy here will be to rely on the Guru's ramp mode.

Thanks for the post. I'm gonna try a fresh one just as soon as I get another excuse.

Feliz Navidad y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back