chris lilly pork butt injection

DW Frommer II

TVWBB Fan
The recipe I have for Chris' injection calls for 10 ounces of liquid (3/4c apple juice and 1/2c water) to 2 ounces (1/4c) of salt...for a 5:1 ratio. A basic (fairly strong) brine is 16:1.

I know that this is an injection and not a brine but it tastes pretty salty.

Is it supposed to be pretty salty? I am thinking about injecting this morning for a Monday cook. I don't want ruin my pulled pork.

Any help would be appreciated.

Man, that's a lot of salt.

Why would you inject with salt anyway?

I'm speaking out of ignorance here as I have never injected a butt before, but I would be tempted to leave the salt out completely.

I guess he's the expert though.

I have used that injection method without any modification. Works great. Finished product not too salty at all. Everyone said it was my best pulled pork yet.

I use his method as a "base", and add other items, but I do cut the salt in half. If your rub has a high salt content, then it is to much salt for my liking. I also inject only about 1/2 an hour to an hour before I put it on the smoker.

Well, I posted this question here and on the KCBBQ forum and the answers I got were pretty much in the same vein...too much salt...with a few that use the injection as is and like it.

I ended up just injecting some apple juice thinned slightly with water and worstershire sauce. No salt, no sugar. I figured that most of us do butts without injections (I've done a number without) and to good results...so, I couldn't go wrong leaving the salt out altogether.

They are just coming out of the WSM now...also did the cook at 300° or so (mostly in the low 300's--312-320--but I did hit 339° for a while) and the first butt (shoulder really, bone in)--a 5.5 lb'er came out in five hours. The second, just a little heavier will be out any minute now--coming up on 6 hours. They look and feel good. I foiled at 165° and took 'em off at 200°.

If these turn out good, I doubt I'll ever go back to "low and slow."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2 ounces (1/4c) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you weigh or just measure? what kind of salt? If you used weight the kind of salt does not matter.

I tried this 4th of July (my first injection) and it was definitley too salty. Of the three varieties of butts for this cook, that one took dead last in the family poll.

Next time, I'll use 1/2 the salt. It was juicier, though.

I think what you guys are missing here is that Chris's injection is ment for competition use. Since the judges usually will only take a bite or 2 you need that extra something to catch their attention.
I use a slightly modified version of his injection for comps and have had my butt finish as high as 4th. If I could just figure out how to get pulled and sliced in the box I think I'll even do better.
However I never use it at home unless I'm doing a practice cook. If you plan on eating alot of pork (more than 2 bites) definitly cut the salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I could just figure out how to get pulled and sliced in the box </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're cooking the slicer to a much lower internal, yes?

Back