Choice vs. Select Brisket

Jerry S.

TVWBB Member
Sam's has choice brisket at $1.29/lbs. while the local grocery has select on sale for $.88/lbs. That's a savings of about $5 for a 12 pounder.

Go for the savings or stick with the choice?

Jerry

PS, With an ambient temperature approaching 100 degrees F, the WSM is setting on the back patio, in the sun, no coals, maintaining a lid temperature of 135+.

Most of the packer briskets I get are select cuts and cook just fine. With such a long cook I don't find end result to be much of different between the two grades of meat.

What I would suggest is to make sure you can get the meat from your grocer untrimmed. My local supermarket will grab every cryovac and trim them up to get ready for a sale since most shoppers don't want such a large piece of meat.

Both of those are dirt cheap prices, and you can't go wrong with either. Are they both whole packer cuts with all the fat? Make sure whichever you buy isn't trimmed too much.

I find choice to be better than select IN GENERAL. I emphasize that because while a carcas is graded as a whole, each individual cut of meat is different, and I have had some Select meat that was better than some Choice meat. You have to inspect the actual brisket itself, which is tough when it's still in the factory bag.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Select brisket are ok but the better the product you start with does effect outcome.
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, just for the sake of discussion, I heard a good point the other day that the grade for Tri-Tips doesn't matter much because it's such a lean cut, a tri-tip from a Choice carcas won't be much different than one from a Select tri-tip. Do you do tri-tips much, and does this jive with your experience?

Back