Chocolate-Orange Brownies

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I don't think I have ever had this kind of a brownie before and I am curious to try it, so DH said he will make them for us.

Chocolate-Orange Brownies

1/2 cup boiling water
6 TB. natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
2 large eggs
10 TB. (1 1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1 TB. finely grated orange peel
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x9x2" metal baking pan with nonstick spray. Whisk 1/2 cup boiling water and cocoa powder in small bowl to blend. Whisk sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in medium bowl to blend. Stir in pecans. Whisk eggs in large bowl. Add butter, orange peel and vanilla; whisk to blend. Whisk cocoa mixture into egg mixture. Add flour mixture; stir just to blend. Transfer to prepared pan.
2. Bake brownies until tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into 16 squares and serve. Adapted from Homepage Cafe.

Source: Bon Appetit mag.-March 2010

Looks good to me, I would change the method slightly to use the food processor, that leaves only one mixing thing to be cleaned, fewer things to wash!

Well, he made the recipe, and on a scale of 1-10, and 10 being really good, we both gave it a 3:cry: What a disappointment!!!
Which recipe you ask? This one, "Chocolate-Orange Brownies". Could hardly taste the orange and I think it could use some other type of chocolate, preferably Dark chocolate, but I did enjoy the pecans.

That's too bad but I wonder if a couple teaspoons of pure orange extract and a heaping cup of chocolate chips would kick them up a notch?

Joan, the Ghirardelli brownie recipe(not box mix) lends itself quite well to processor technique. I modify tons of things to reduce “things to clean up” and no one has taken any exception to texture.
Let me see if I can find a technique example. Trust me, if they weren’t good, I’d still be using a spoon!

Timothy, like I said elsewhere, I have hundreds of brownie recipes and you are right. There are a lot of different ways to incorporate the ingredients together. I would assume that they all would have an influence on the outcome. That is why I say stick to what a recipe says the first time till you know what you are dealing with. THEN you can make changes to suit yourself. (of course we don't always follow that rule lol)

I have all my recipes listed alphabetically. Maybe I should have them in order by how they are mixed. I know DH would pick the ones calling for one bowl. lol

That's too bad but I wonder if a couple teaspoons of pure orange extract and a heaping cup of chocolate chips would kick them up a notch?
Jerry, good idea. I think DH would like this.

Orange extract

Place your orange zest in a jar, and cover it with one cup of vodka. ... Then, screw the lid on your jar, and place it in a cool, dark spot for at least two months. The longer it sits, the stronger the orange flavor will be. Strain out the zest, and transfer your finished orange extract to a brown glass jar.

The technique using the processor takes a little time to master but, the biggest thing I’ve seen people do is over mixing the flour. You want to add that pretty much last and pulse it until the flour JUST disappears. Now I want brownies!
I had to bang out another batch of sugar cookies and at 90 cookies a batch, scooping, rolling and, rolling in colored sugar gets pretty old when you close in on 400! Now, I have a few batches of toffee bars to do, did the last Chex mix yesterday (9 total) after those cool, I will cut them into large (1/4 of the baking sheet) pieces for shipping. I used to cut them into finished size pieces but, they would get broken to shards in shipment!

Timothy, yes, most recipes do say "just until blended".

YOU want BROWNIES? YOU are making all of us want COOKIES!!!!!!! :cry: (pretend the tears are drool. lol)

Back