Chip conversion

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi there.
Got my WSM yesterday and I plan on cooking next weekend. I see most of the recipies refer to baseball sized wood chunks for the smoke flavor. All that I have readily available are chipped woods. Should I just use a handfull of chips as an equivalent to 1 chunk of wood? Do I need to soak them in water? Do I put them on the coals or should I put them in the stainless steel smoker box that I bought for my gas grill? The smoker box is about 10"x4"x2". All help is appreciated.

Steve

If I'm using chips or pellets in the WSM, I'll make a little pouch out of HD foil. Rip a piece of foil off the roll about 6 inches long, fold together and seal the 2 long sides with about 3 tight folds. Put a handful of chips (or about 1/3 cup pellets, if you use them) into the foil pouch, fold the open end over on itself a few times, flatten it out well, and poke a small hole in one flat side. Just lay that pouch on top of your charcoal and it'll smoke away quite nicely.

I'm sure you could use the smoker box, but I don't have one so I can't speak from experience. I bet someone else will address that for you, though.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Hi Steve,

If I have to use the smaller chips, I will typically soak them since they will burn up faster. I don't typcailly soak the larger fist size chunks. Just personal preference though.

-mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back