Chinois (fine mesh strainer)

I know that a chinois is a "different beast".

However, if you need a simple, fine strainer; I found a simple solution that works.

We had an old drip coffee maker that died, and had gotten one of those gold filters for it. I saved the filter, and the plastic upper part - where it fit into.

This thing worked excellent for straining my limoncello - and would work for just about anything that is not too "thick" in consistency.

Just a little tip for you fellow "cheapos" out there...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Technically, tamises have cloth mesh but one often sees a round strainer with S/S mesh called a tamis. Check Fantes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might take a look - Fantes is very close to me. Which chinois looked good on their list Kevin?

Been using a fine mesh strainer (screen type, All Clad) and I am starting to get concerned. Forcing with a wooden spoon. It's heavy duty but looks like a chinois should be in the tool box so I don't end up destroying this strainer. Don't want to permanently deform it by using it for the wrong purpose. It doesn't have the support.

I have a fine similar to the #4520 and one like the extra-fine #18941.

I do recommend a pestle.

Chinoises shouldn't be used if a food mill would be more suitable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I have a fine similar to the #4520 and one like the extra-fine #18941.

I do recommend a pestle.

Chinoises shouldn't be used if a food mill would be more suitable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, foodmills more for solids, chinois for liquids.

Have you seen or used the superbags? Wondering if they are as good/usable as chinois for the same purpose (also look easier to store).

Yes. I use them for straining juices out of vegs (it is the juice I am after) and for making nut 'milks'. They certainly are easy to store. I don't use them for hot stuff (like bouillons) nor when stiff support is needed, but they are quite handy.

Back