chimney lighting technique that is a little different

Status
Not open for further replies.

les

TVWBB Fan
i was talkin to bryan the other night on the phone while i was firing up the grill and mentioned how i did it and he hadn't ever tried my way. my mom showed me how to to this when i was a lil shaver and i've been doing it ever since. those who haven't tried this way i thought i would share it.

take a few paper towels and wad em up. pour a little vegtable oil on the wad. not too much just a little. i do two sides of the wad. put it under the chimney and light. it fires things up much much faster. no odor like with lighter fluid and a lot easier than newspaper.

you'll be surprised how much faster it is. hope it's helpful to ya'all. i thought everybody knew of this technique

It was recently discussed how Alton Brown suggested doing this with newspaper and a charcoal chimney on a Good Eats episode. Not sure if your Mom showed him this, or vice versa.

well lets see...

moms79 and showed me when i was a lil kid.

i'm 56

i think alton owes my mommy some royaltys on her invention
icon_wink.gif
when did paper towels first come out? before alton i bet

and PS:

i've tried it with newspaper and it's a lot easier with paper towels. paper napkins work just as well

That's a swell idea! I always have paper towels and oil on hand cuz Raichlen is forever admonishing us mortals to "keep it hot, keep it clean, keep it lubricated"---so I'm always oiling my grates before any protein hits 'em (when grilling, not so much when smoking).

Sounds like a nice accelerator -- will give it a try.

Keep in mind: I think I remember that the smoke from burning oil is thought to be fairly toxic, so after lighting is probably a good time to go get that cocktail... (

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Parizo:
so after lighting is probably a good time to go get that cocktail... ( <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also before lighting, while cooking, while eating ...

i've never tried the firestarters. they cost money
icon_smile.gif
and i guess i'm cheap. as for being toxic, i don't know about that. i don't use very much at all. nothing close to a drip or making the whole thing wet. just a little on a couple of sides. the chimney does smoke when you do it but the smoke is long gone when the charcoal and wood is lit. i just use regular ole wesson oil. we eat it, cook in it... could it be toxic when you light it?? i would think by the time the charcoal is lit any remnant of oil is long gone and burnt off. i always wondered about using newspaper with the ink in it.

Les, just lit a chimney full of lump using YOUR method. Best way to light the chimney except for the turkey burner which i don't use too much (pain to drag out and hook up.) Next time you see Alton Brown i'd kick his *** for stealing you Mom's idea.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
100 bucks on Les. He was a boxer Dude.
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, butt, Greg's only 29 (no offense, Les) fity bucks!
icon_razz.gif

Now he's gonna punch me too
icon_eek.gif

you're right bill... he's younger... i won't punch him. i'll shoot him and then we'll see if he fits in the king and how long it takes for him go get tender...
icon_wink.gif

oh greg... we've decided you're bringin the meat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by les:

oh greg... we've decided you're bringin the meat <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL
icon_biggrin.gif
LOL
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back