Chicken Wings with Honey and Soy

Phil Hartcher

TVWBB All-Star
As requested by Ken Klein
The following is the recipe for Honey and Soy Chicken Wings. These have a sweet and savory Asian flavour. Additional heat can be produced by addiong a splash or two of Tabasco or by the addition of chilli flakes.

Chicken Wings with Honey and Soy
2 kg chicken wings (4 ½ lb)

Marinade
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
1 tablespoon of hoi sin sauce (or use 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce)
1 teaspoon ground garlic flakes
1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
A splash of Tabasco (optional

Baste
3 tablespoons honey

Place marinade ingredients in a glass jug and microwave on high for 10 - 15 seconds (no longer) remove and stir thoroughly.
Cut the chicken wings at each joint and discard wing tips. Place the wing pieces and marinate in a zip lock bag, marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Alternately you can leave the wings whole for presentation and marinate.

Preheat the Q on high for 10 minutes. Place the wing pieces on a roasting trivet/rack on top of a doubled over sheet of aluminum and cook indirectly for about 25 minutes until cooked through. After 15 minutes and again after 20 minute brush the wings on both sides with honey. Instead of cooking on the Q this recipe can be done indirectly on a kettle using the same cooking times and method.

Recipe prepared by “The Gourmet Cabernet” alias “Captain Cook”

Looks really good Phil, thanks so much for posting it. I can't wait to try it!

One question -- after the pre-heat do you follow your normal procedure on this and turn the burners down 3-4 strokes lower than Hi/Start?

Dave, if I may be so bold as to answer, Phil is describing his setup for doing indirect cooking on the Weber Q, if you were doing it on a kettle or a larger gas grill I'm sure you could just place it on the grate.

Dave
The Q is great for grilling, however because we are using Honey and Soy as a marinade if it burns it becomes very bitter Also doing them on a rack over foil means clean-up is about 2 minutes rather than a long time when the marinade burns on the grill.
I nearly always use this method for high sugar content marinades or marinades using commercial sauces or commercial marinades. By basting a few times during the cook I can get a good build up of clean marinade flavours.
I also found that doing the indirect in the kettle suits the Australian taste better.

Regards

I'm heading to the Sugarland / Kenny Chesney concert today, and wings were requested, along with lamb burgers. Not having a great wing recipe I thought I would give these a shot. I made a double batch of the marinade for 7 pounds of chicken. Put it in the fridge last night and will grill them on my OTG in a few hours. Will report back tomorrow with results.

Well, I made up a large batch of these wings Saturday. I doubled the marinade amount as I had 7# of chicken wings. The only other change I made was to mix in some bbq sauce with the honey for the glaze.

Overall, I was very pleased with the recipe. For my personal taste, I will increase the level of heat next time. But I was making them for some people that can't tolerate any heat, and they all enjoyed them.

Thanks for sharing.

Pat
Glad you liked them. Tweak away to suit your taste. This recipe takes into account Australian taste. The method of cooking and basting is the important part.

Cheers Mate

Back