Chicken thigh experiment

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I made 4 with salt, pepper and garlic. The other 4 were salt, pepper and garlic with smoked paprika and 1 of those also had cayenne. Not enough difference to be noticeable but they were very good. I guess I’m not very good with experimentation 😂0F7514FC-9DAC-4E7D-BE49-FED0AC4B6623.jpeg

I would have thought you would notice the cayenne. Maybe go more, like Brett said though what was the goal, hotter?

I'm glad the thighs all turned out nice. Colored tooth picks are good way to help tell the difference between "test meat" vs regular meat. If the Chicken with cayenne didn't have a little more kick, maybe you didn't get enough on there to make a difference, and/or the cayenne is a little stale? Most of us don't go thru our cayenne very quickly so when it's a little older you gotta use a little more.

I usually buy the smallest jar of cayenne they have at the store, and it lasts about 6 to 9 months depending on how much gumbo/cajun cookin' I'm doing.

What were you trying to achieve?
I was testing my palate, I thought I had a more sensitive palate. Basically a simple test of rub ingredients and what change they make. The cayenne was a tad of heat, I put a toothpick in that one to make sure the wife didn’t have it. I guess my amounts might have been on the light side. Live and learn. :)

I was testing my palate, I thought I had a more sensitive palate. Basically a simple test of rub ingredients and what change they make. The cayenne was a tad of heat, I put a toothpick in that one to make sure the wife didn’t have it. I guess my amounts might have been on the light side. Live and learn. :)
I’d have added ACV and some sugar. I think both would have expressed the rubs differently. Paprika is mostly a color ingredient. It doesn’t lend much, if any flavor. Cayenne is just heat. It’s not a complex pepper say a dried chipotle or ground up arbols or pepin peppers. I wouldn’t stop where you are. I’d keep a good notebook and make more experiments. Fat, acid, salt, heat. And sweet, all will move your flavor profile. And blended vinegars are another complexity.

If those had been oven cooked, I imagine you would have noticed the paprika - both in color and flavor.

Did you eat all 8 of 'em? Maybe you just missed the one with the cayenne. :ROFLMAO:

Back