Chicken/Smoke/Flavor/Oil

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
I cooked some chicken leg qters. (leg and thigh connected), the other day. The previous time they were cooked they came out great. Last time I rubbed oil on the chicken, and then applied the rub. That was the only thing I did different this time. I don't know if it's my imagination or what, seemed like I didn't get the same Flavor of the rub and smoke in the chicken. I used the same amount of rub as well as smoke. Any inputs will be appreciated.
John

I am not 100% sure but the oil may have created a barrier not alowing the spices in the rub to penetrate the chicken. What was the purpose of the oil? I would try mustard next time if you want your rub to be more like a paste when applied.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
I cooked some chicken leg qters. (leg and thigh connected), the other day. The previous time they were cooked they came out great. Last time I rubbed oil on the chicken, and then applied the rub. That was the only thing I did different this time. I don't know if it's my imagination or what, seemed like I didn't get the same Flavor of the rub and smoke in the chicken. I used the same amount of rub as well as smoke. Any inputs will be appreciated.
John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As usual, I am a bit confused is this correct?

First time - + oil & + rub - GOOD flavor
Second time - NO oil, + rub - poor flavor ??

First time hd oil and it was good - second time, no oil poor flavor???

Third Time - use oil and use rub. with luck you will get good flavor - or try Rick's suggestion of using a mustard slather (which is what I do with beef & pork) -I would use oil because it worked so well first time.

Invite me over to help with the taste testing
icon_smile.gif

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to clarify.
1st time no oil, good flavor.
2nd time applied oil then rub, poor flavor.

The purpose of the oil, was to help the rub stick to the chicken.

I don't know if the oil was the reason there didn't seem to be as much flavor. The oil is the only thing I did different, so in my little "pea brain', I concluded it must have been the oil ?? Thanks for your inputs. The next time I cook chicken, no oil, then we see what we have. You know what they say "the proofs in the puddin" or is it in the Chicken ???

Back