Chicken Skin really Dark

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi everyone, I cooked 2 chickens butterflyed on friday, everything was fine, but my birds skin was very dark, not burned, but just dark. I did not put any sauce on them what so ever. I usually spray with apple cider vinagar , but I used apple juice this time. I had the Temps at 325-340 Degrees. The only thing I can think of is that I used to much wood, It did not taste like I did, but thats the only thing I can think I did to make it so dark. Any suggestions? Oh yea, even the thermometer was dark on the end that was in the cooker. Thanks for any advice..Stephen

Apple juice contains a lot of sugars. When sugars are exposed to heat they caramelize and darken. The same thing is occuring when you sear a steak or roast a turkey at a higher temp. Natural sugars on the surface of the meat brown as they interact with heat and moisture. Because the juice's sugars are concentrated and you were spraying it on it concentrated further on the surface and darkened more than you're used to. Apple vinegar's sugars are less abundant.

Thanks Kruger, I actually used some apple juice that my Kid drinks that come in those really small boxes. Oh well you live and learn. I thought that was what the Big Boys and Girls sprayed on there meat in competition?

Hi,

I'm thinking it's the wood. Was the end of your therm darker than usual?? What did you use for smokewood??? When I use cherry, the poultry comes out of the cooker looking like mahogany !!!

If it didn't taste too smokey, then you don't have a problem.

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
When I use cherry, the poultry comes out of the cooker looking like mahogany !!!
Al </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can attest to this. I used cherry when doing a turkey yesterday (first time using all cherry) and the skin was a dark (really dark) mahogany color. From what I've read, I expected more of a reddish color. I used the basic brine recipe that has lots of sugar, but I rinsed the bird before it went into the cooker and I did not baste. No rub either. Oh, and I used too much wood too - 3 fist sized chunks - and had too much flavor from the wood. Not bitter, but slightly overpowering, especially the gravy I made from the drippings.

Steve
You have been given good info from everyone, the rub makeup and wood will lead to the finish color.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh, and I used too much wood too - 3 fist sized chunks - and had too much flavor from the wood. Not bitter, but slightly overpowering, especially the gravy I made from the drippings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
really? i cooked a turkey breast using the Whole Turkey - Basic Brine recipe along with three chunks of cherry, and my wife and i thought it came out great. maybe the cajan rub covered up some of the smoke flavor. either way it was delicious.

also every chicken i've cooked using cherry has come out with dark skin. i love the way it tasts so i don't really care.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh yea, even the thermometer was dark on the end that was in the cooker. Thanks for any advice..Stephen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saying that, and you only used salt & pepper on it, I would agree with Kevin about the AJ. Not all apple juice in the little "sipper" boxes are bad for the smoker. Read them and check if they are pure apple juice, or apple "drink" with a lot of sugar added.

Thanks everyone, after reading everyones comments, I really think it was my son's apple juice in the litte box that threw me for a loop. It tasted great but, the dark finish kinda embarrased me with the wife. I have to keep her impressed to continue with my new found addition. I'm climbing back into the ring sometime this week and will use my old reliable apple vinagar just to be safe. Happy cooking. Oh yea, I like Hickory on my chicken. Oh boy what a treat.

Bryan, was that at high temp or low n slow? How long did it take? Have you ever used straight cherry when doing a turkey? BTW, that's the bird I referred to in my previous post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk Boorman:
Bryan, was that at high temp or low n slow? How long did it take? Have you ever used straight cherry when doing a turkey? BTW, that's the bird I referred to in my previous post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That one was done low and slow. I prefer to do them high heat because the wife and i love the skin. I usually use straight cherry on poultry but used one pack of the orange pellets on that one. I never got dark skin when using straight cherry.
icon_smile.gif

Back