Chicken roasting, need some advice

Chris_Vagnozzi

TVWBB Member
Hey all, doing a roasted chicken on my Genesis since replacing the burner tubes and flavorizer bars. I'm planning on doing the following, let me know if you think this is pretty foolproof: (haven't done one of these in a while)

Chicken prep:
-Clean the bird (7.5lb.), stuff with onion and carrots
-Coat with EVOO, sea salt, poultry seasoning

Grill prep:
-Set front and back burners to LOW, gives about ~350* output
-Set bird in the middle of the grill with center burner OFF

Set thermometer timer for 160* internal temp, pull when done
Allow 15-20min for rest

Am I missing anything?

Sounds pretty good. I would be more inclined to put the front burner on HIGH and other two burners OFF for about 400-450, and put the pan in the back for no heat under the pan.

This makes hot air circulate over the top of the bird as it exits the rear of the Genny.

Don't know the Genny or how to set it, but I agree with Dave that higher heat will yield a better bird.

Re: cleaning. If you mean 'washing", don't. Other than there is no need (the heat kills anything anyways), all washing does is spread any contaminants that there might already be on the bird from the abbattoir, plus spread it around your sink/kitchen area.

Dave I always get scared of putting on the high heat, but everyone (including yourself) keeps saying go 400+.

I'll see if I can go past LOW and see if it brings me into that range. I'm always worried about burning it, but now I have a roasting rack so no worries there :)

Thanks Dave! I'm going to try your way (front burner only) the second time around. I usually check every 30min, but now that I have a programmable timer I'm hoping to eliminate a lot of the guess work and lost heat :)

Back