Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Feeling a bit eye-talian tonight.

Chicken ragu with home ground thigh and breast

1668826274147.jpeg

And some penne because the ragu likes to hide inside of it

1668826307989.jpeg

MANGIA!!!

Very nice Ragu - I haven't used chicken that way before but I may give it a try soon.

My son and I collaborated on a pasta con brocoli con chicken el diablo e olio last night (the name of this dish gets longer each time I tell the story ;) ) This was basically a mash up of pasta e olio with orecchiette pasta, chicken, broc, onions garlic, dried herbs and pasta...turned out nice. Although I've made pasta e olio a bunch of times, I tried a new-to-me technique this time (with my son stirring and tossing vigorously) using pasta water to really bring the dish together... OH MAN was it so much better. I learned the technique from this video. The video was not highly entertaining, but was highly informative.

Very nice Ragu - I haven't used chicken that way before but I may give it a try soon.

My son and I collaborated on a pasta con brocoli con chicken el diablo e olio last night (the name of this dish gets longer each time I tell the story ;) ) This was basically a mash up of pasta e olio with orecchiette pasta, chicken, broc, onions garlic, dried herbs and pasta...turned out nice. Although I've made pasta e olio a bunch of times, I tried a new-to-me technique this time (with my son stirring and tossing vigorously) using pasta water to really bring the dish together... OH MAN was it so much better. I learned the technique from this video. The video was not highly entertaining, but was highly informative.

You’ve discovered the secret. Pasta water in your sauce makes for a perfect dish.

I did the same here. When the ragu was done, I reserved around 35% of it into a separate bowl. Then I used my spider to pull the al denté penne and drop it into the ragu pan. No need to drain the penne. A few scoops of the spider and all the penne was in the ragu.

I then added 1/2 cup of pasta water to the ragu penne mix and cranked up the heat and tossed the ragu and penne to combine. Added an additional scoop of the reserved ragu back to the penne and mixed until the ragu sauce was velvety.

And perfection. The penne is fully covered and properly sauced and cooked to a perfect bite. All the flavors were balanced. No acidic tomato flavor (I did make a very mellow ragu.).

This one was one of my best in a while. I used Cento tomato purée a and I cooked the tomato paste in right as the chicken was browning so the paste was very mellowed. And enough EVOO so that nothing burned but not too much that I had a pond of EVOO.

Last edited:

Back