Chicken quarters?

J Reyes

TVWBB Pro
There's been differing thoughts on the forums on cooking methods and temps for chicken; with water, without water, without pan, etc.

I'll be buying some chicken leg quarters to cook. I would like them ready to eat by apprx. 1pm. I will not be able to tend to them as I will be away from 10:30am to apprx. 12:45pm (church).

I thought of starting them at around 10:00am with a pan of water, but could start them earlier.

Any thoughts on how long and what method to cook them with a WSM?

John

I would expect them to take around 4 hrs at 250-275 deg. I don't have a wsm but I did smoke some today. Timing and temp should be about the same.

I do butterflied halves low/slow with water in the pan fairly often. The halves go close to 5 hrs, so 4 hrs is probably a pretty good estimate for quarters.

You will not have crisp skin which is a problem for some, but not me. For moist meat you need to check the internal temp in the thigh for around 170-175.

Best of luck to you.

Paul

I've made 1/2 chickens a few times, using Gary Wiviott's methods. I've done them both w/full water pan and w/o water pan. I don't think I'd use the water pan again. You get a much crispier skin with no pan at all. With this method, the chicken is done in about an hour or so.

Blasphemy though it may be, I'm not sure that the WSM is my preferred cooker for poultry! Need to try it a few more times. For now, indirect on the good ol' kettle still rocks for me...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I do butterflied halves low/slow with water in the pan fairly often. The halves go close to 5 hrs, so 4 hrs is probably a pretty good estimate for quarters.

You will not have crisp skin which is a problem for some, but not me. For moist meat you need to check the internal temp in the thigh for around 170-175.

Best of luck to you.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Paul! Even though you will not have crispy skin, it'll be some very good chicken. Only thing I do differently is use sand. Good luck, hope the chicken and timing works out good for you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Blasphemy though it may be, I'm not sure that the WSM is my preferred cooker for poultry! Need to try it a few more times. For now, indirect on the good ol' kettle still rocks for me... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree - if I'm not doing a huge quantity, I like grilled chicken. However, if I'm doing a large load, I like that I can do 6 whole chickens in the WSM at a time.

Thanks all. I started cooking today instead of Sunday.

Cooked beef ribs on the top grill for two hours and then added the chicken leg quarters on the bottom.

Took the ribs off at the 6 hour mark and placed the top grill over the coals where I finished off the chicken for a few minutes to get that crispy skin.

6 hours for the beef ribs and 4 for the chicken at 220 to 240.

Also included some peppers and potatos over the coals. Topped the meat with bbq sauce and both ribs and chicken and sides came out perfect.

John

Back