Chicken quarters dry brined then rubbed

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Olympian
Always start with hot JD coals

1676685504407.jpeg

Rub that chicken

1676685554013.jpeg

Place on a preheated grate. I added a chunk of wood but dammed if I know what kind. It was used as support under a brisket some time ago. Mystery wood!

1676685746959.jpeg

Just shy of 400°. Cinched down the top vent to 50%. Bottom wide open (WSK). Smells like I got pecan wood going.

1676685894301.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice looking bird! Not sure what's on my menu.. Sunday looks like a good day for an outdoor cook here in St. Louis. Could be ribs n' chicken, or maybe picanha...

Nice looking bird! Not sure what's on my menu.. Sunday looks like a good day for an outdoor cook here in St. Louis. Could be ribs n' chicken, or maybe picanha...
I’ve been craving juicy chicken. Too many winter months and I’ve missed grilling.

I served a mixed salad of English cuke, red pepper, assorted cherry tomatoes and beets. Mixed up the babaganoush I charred this week. And warmed up a frozen challah.

A relaxing and filling meal.

I’d offer up you do some ribs and boneless skin on thighs and some Boston beans. Hearty and flavorful meal without too much fuss. Hopefully your weather is moderating from winter to spring.

That’s a real juicy looking chicken Brett.
I miss all the grilling and bbq we do in the summer.
It still snows up here every now and then so I’m learning to do more indoor cooks.

That’s a real juicy looking chicken Brett.
I miss all the grilling and bbq we do in the summer.
It still snows up here every now and then so I’m learning to do more indoor cooks.
You could easily do this in an oven and get similar results, just no coal or smoke flavor.

I used a natural Bare brand bird. Quartered it and on the breast, fully removed the center keel bone.

The key was a generous kosher salting both the bottom and skin sides and then air dried in the fridge for 7 hours. Overnight would have been even better.

The rub was granulated garlic, onion, black pepper, paprika, Aleppo chili pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin and I then added evoo and made a paste.

Applied the rub under the skin and then some atop the skin. Cooked indirect except for the last 2 mins when I hit the skin and bottom sides on the CI sear grate.

When done, tented and rested the bird for 8 mins and then cut it up. It cut like a hot knife into butter.

One of my better birds in a long time.

Back