chicken plateaus

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Howdy,

does chicken exhibit the same tendencies of pork shoulder and brisket with temperature plateaus?

I am currently doing my second chicken cook while in the 10 F range with snow. I am also doing a small pork butt at the same time to finish some time tonite.

My chicken has been sitting at 168 F for almost an hour and I'm not sure if the weather is a factor or a temperature plateau is happening.

I have managed to keep a consistent 225-235 F for over 7.5 hours even with the weather conditions. I have kept a Maverick probe in the thigh of the chicken while it has cooked (now 5.5 hours and 3.2# rubbed chicken)

My temp JUST finally crept to 169 F so I will continue to wait for 170.

Please let me know if I am experiencing a temperature plateau or just being stubborn. I am new to chicken but it smell great!!!

Thanks,
Troy

Troy, never heard of a chicken plateau but I'm no expert. Sounds like it's just simmering there waiting to dry out. If that baby's been in for 5 hrs I'd pull it off, wrap it for an hr and enjoy one fantastic dinner! Gonna be hot when you unwrap so be careful.

Chickens don't experience the plateaus that butts and briskets do. It is possible your thermometer is inaccurate or is improperly placed, possibly touching bone. If you were measuring the temp in the breast meat, and your thermometer is accurate, your chicken should have been pulled off at 160*. Upon resting, covered in foil, it would have risen the additional few degress to doneness-- but not dried-outness. Measuring in the breast is preferable to the thigh to avoid the dryness that over-cooking can result in. Typically, when the breast hits 160*, the thigh is 10* or so higher, due to the difference in muscle type.

Thanks folks,

I pulled the bird not long after writing the first post and it was incredible. I'm not sure what to make of the temperature but it turned out fine.

I'm still waiting for my pork butt to finish. It is currently at 160 F so I have a few hours.

Troy

Troy:

I'm glad you posted. I have had a very difficult time getting chicken to 180 using the water pan. I've finally concluded that it is almost impossible.

Last Saturday, I had three 4.5 to 5.5 lb hens in the smoker, at about 240-245 degrees lid temp. They just wouldn't go above 160. Finally, I put them in the oven for 20 minutes, and the were great.

I'm a dry-pan-chicken guy from now on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back