Chicken parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Israel

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone,

I'm ready to head home and smoke some chicken. My wife has already cut the chicken up. Any thoughts on how best to smoke it in pieces? I'm presuming just using the same method as butterfly chicken?

Any help appreciated! thanks!

Check the white meat pieces for doneness-- 160-165*-- at around 2-1/2 hours, assuming cooking at 240-250*, measured at the top grate. Chicken can really soak up the smoke, so go a little light on the wood.

It all depends on how you like it done. Chicken can "take the heat" better than ribs, brisket or pork butt, so higher temps for shorter times may be the way to go, if you like a crispier skin.

I like to do whole poultry at 325-350* with a dry water pan, and I like to brine it overnight first. When I do pieces, it's usually as an additional item to a short main cook like brisket flat, roasts, or ribs, which I do at 240*.

Higher temps and dry pan will make for crispier skin, but with pieces at that temp you'll need to monitor internal temp closely, as you could easily overcook. I would use the bottom grate so I could just open the access door to use my instant-read, rather than opening the dome lid and losing more heat energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back