Chicken, butterflied, brine...ummmmm

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Today was my first butterflied and brined chicken. I learned a few things. If you have not tried a butterflied chicken-do yourself a favor and try it. Also, do remove the breast bone ( I removed the rib bones too). This is all descibed in the cooking section.
I used my first brine on poultry in years today. the recipe called for heating the brine and refrigerating to cool down. Well I wanted to use the brine right away. So I fell back on a wine cooling technique. The pot I used to heat the brine I put in my largest cast iron skillet. Then I placed ice cubes around the pot into the skillet. Two loads of ice later and 20 minutes, the brine cooled to 40*. The chicken was brined for 7 hours- one or two hours too long.
The smoke went well. I used the Minion Method with 16 briqs for the start and used sand. The vents were left open 100% most of the cook. The cooker temp rose to 321* at 1 hour and 45 min. into the cook. The chicken was pulled at 2.20 into the cook. This was an 8.5 out of 10. A little too much brine. Very good otherwise.

If you have not utilized the cooking section of the site , you are missing a great resource!

Steve,

A little brine goes a long way. I think four hours is about right, so you should be right on next time. What recipe did you use. I've found that fancy doesn't add that much more flavor than sugar and salt brine.

I have decided halved is really a better way to go on the chickens. Once you have them butterflied and the breastbone removed, another cut of the shears and the halves are easier to maneuver on the grate, more can fit on the WSM or kettle, and they look better on a serving platter. May of my guests can polish off 1/2 at dinner, and for the others, they can be easily quartered.

I've actually got a bunch of leg quarters thawing for tomorrow. It seems like most people prefer the dark meat anyway when I do the whole chickens.

I have had good luck with brining poultry. I like to brine bone in thighs and marinate in Italian dressing. Yep, both brine AND marinate! Just cut back on the time a bit on both.

Certianly no prize winning appearence or anything, but it sure does taste good.

I have a great deal of respect for those who compete, but my family and friends are the only judges I'll probably ever have to impress!

I must say I enjoyed the first and only competition I have ever been to,(spectator of course), which was the "Jack" in 2003.

I'm looking forward to going to the "Whistlestop" in Huntsville next month to watch a co-worker and her husband cook.

I'm sorry, I seemed to have gotten "off task" there! Anyway Steve, keep on brining!

Jim

The brine was just posted in recipes. I prefer dark meat too. My wife enjoys the breast.

Jim, I used to brine and smoke turkey breasts in a Luhr Jenson. I had one bad experience (probaly due to the low smoking temp) and quit brining and smoking poultry. With the WSM, I'm back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back