Chicken Breasts with Bone

If you want crisp skin, you know you"ll have to go at a higher temp, say 350 + - empty waterpan etc. I do a lot of low/slow chic, but almost always butterflied halves. For bone in breast, I would go with a 225 grate temp and don't let the meat get over 160. I expect they would be good. Some people have written about trying to crisp the skin at the end over a gasser or some other method. First, most of the fat has rendered so I don't think it would work well. Next, you could easily end up overcooking them. If I felt I had to have crisp skin, I would go with the higher heat cook, which is really indirect grilling, imo.

Paul

Im with Paul. I usually do my butterflied chicken low at 225 and it usually takes around 4 hours or so.

I just dont eat the skin.

I have eight chicken breasts with the bone in sitting in a brine right now. I need to have everything ready to eat around 6:30pm. So I will probaby have to go with the high heat for about 1.5 hrs dont ya think?

yes - at high heat, around 1 1/2 hours is about right. Make sure you throw enough hot coals in there (I do 1.5 weber chimneys) to get a good, hot burn. I usually throw half a chimney of unlit in the bottom, then the 1.5 fully lit on top of it. It gets me about an hour and a half of a 350+ burn.

Well I am no sure what the problem was I used 1 Chimney of Lit and half in the cooker. My temp never got above 280 at the lid. However it was some of the best chicken I have ever eaten.

Back