Chicken and Ribs

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,
I'm going to to a chicken and some ribs on Saturday and was wondering what the best way to do the two together was. i.e chicken or ribs on top and what kind of wood. I have apple wood right now but can get others.

Thanks in advance

Well, you certainly shouldn't do the chicken over the ribs.

Depends on what kind of chicken and how you want to cook it.

Let's see ... ribs take a lot longer than chicken ... chicken is cooked at a higher temp than ribs ...

How about doing the ribs first then holding them while the chicken cooks?

It may take a bit of planning. Just before you take the ribs off, open the bottom vents wide and maybe even add a few lit coals to boost temps. Take off the ribs, wrap in foil, then towels, and then put in an ice chest. By the time you're through storing the ribs, the temps should be up, and you can start the chicken, which should take about an hour or so.

And the apple wood should be just fine.

Alternatively, you could do the chicken and ribs at the same temp, the sacrifice being virtually no chance at crispy chicken skin-- if that's what floats your boat. I don't find it that big a problem personally because I don't eat the skin-- it's where a lot of fat resides.

My last chicken came out great and was prepared this way: I slipped my fingers up under the breast skin on either side, and then held the bird neck side down and sprinkled some McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning in the pockets created. Then I rubbed the rest of the outside of the bird with it as well. The chicken went on the bottom rack, next to the chuck roast, and under the ribs on the top rack. I cooked at 240*, measured at the top grate. At about 3.5 hours, I checked the temp in the breast with my digital (semi)instant read thermometer-- 165*-- done. I wrapped the bird in heavy foil and rested it in a dry ice chest-- breast side down-- for about 1.5 hours until dinner time. It was great then, and also when reheated a few days later.

Now, if you ask me about a turkey, I'd tell you brined, definitely 325-350*, dry water pan. I can wait 4 hours for a chicken, but not the time it would take to do a much larger turkey at the lower temp range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back