Cherry Rub update..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Taylor

TVWBB All-Star
I did whip up a batch of cherry rub using Kool-Aid...and then I threw it away!! LOL

The Kool-Aid is much too tart...I did use unsweetened....but still very tart. Also, something I didn't think about, the minute the juices in the meat start flowing, the Kool-Aid turns a deep red and stains the meat. Not a good stain either.

My wife actually liked this rub on some chicken we had, but I just couldn't get over the fact it tasted an awful lot like cherry kool-aid.

I have the folks at The Great American Spice Company searching for something to use. I really do like the cherry flavor and I seem to have hit on a pretty good combination of my sauce, cherry yogurt and my cherry rub.

If all else fails, I will just start buying Mary's Cherry Rub from the Pork Rubbers.

For those that would prefer an apple flavor, try the apple ribs from Smoke and Spice. Use the rub and the sauce, but add a layer of Dutch Apple yogurt after rubbing and let sit overnight.

Thanks, Stogie,I don't know whether I can stomach the Kool-Aid as a rub, but I'll try anything once.
I do like the idea of cherry-flavored rubs. It sounds especially interesting with pork.
Maybe you'll give us a hint of what you're trying at the next competition. (LOL)
I'll try the different cherry things and let you know what I come up with. Not much help to you, I'm sure, but at least you'll know what doesn't work.
Thanks for your info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back