Cheesecloth Wrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
I will not have time to brine tomorrow, and was planning on doing a southwestern spice rub that I use on poultry and pork dishes. I don't have an injector either, so shall I put a butter mixture under the skin, oil skin and wrap in cheesecloth since we are doing a low heat smoke? Didn't want it to turn black.

Jane
Since your not going to brine or inject I would suggest that you cook at 325 to 350?, otherwise you have a greater chance of ending up with a dry turkey. It's because poultry is lower in fat and low and slow technique uses fat to keep meat moist during the long cook.
Jim

I agree with Jim on the heat. That's what I plan to do, as I have for 25 years or so.

On cheesecloth. What I do is melt a couple sticks of butter, mix in a little boiling water, and just soak the cheesecloth in that to moisten it. Wrap the bird and then use the leftover butter mixture to start the basting process. You can baste right through the cheesecloth.

You control the degree of browning of the bird by how long you keep the cheesecloth on. Lift it every once in a while and make a determination if you need it on longer or can take it off.

The cheesecloth is pretty much essential on a Weber kettle grill. On a WSM, I don't know.
I'm doing my bird on a spit, which I've not done before. I'm going to start it off without the cheesecloth, but I'll have it at the ready if I see the bird is getting too dark.

Go easy on the wood smoke. A little goes a very long way. I give it a good dose of chips or chunks when I first put the bird on and then stop. 45 minutes to an hour of smoke is more than plenty with a turkey. It'll get very bitter and "heavy" if you smoke it for the entire 3 to 5 hours it takes to cook.

At the higher temp, I would use less water in the pan? This is what I gathered from skimming over previous posts. If I can find the time to get the bird brined this afternoon when I get home, will do so. Only have Morton's Kosher available at the moment.

Jane
Kosher salt is great, less water in the waterpan is to make it easier to get the higher pit temp and to help crisp up the skin.
Jim

O.K. It's in the Apple Brine, and although I won't be able to do the 24 hours, I should be able to do at least 15 hours in the brine. It smelled wonderful. My husband isn't crazy about "sweet", but I assured him that I could still use a spice rub before putting it on the smoker. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it and I will tell you how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back