6 oz. Brown Sugar
10 oz. Your Favorite Brand BBQ Sauce
2 oz. White Distilled Vinegar
1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
1 oz. Liquid Smoke

Bring to boil while stirring. Cool, pour in container and refrigerate. Makes approximately 32 oz. of sauce. Enjoy with pork, chicken.or beef!
---------------------

I found this recipe somewhere a while back. I don't really remember where it came from now. Finally decided to give it a whirl because I love Cheerwine so much. It certainly has a destinctive flavor but was WAY too sweet for my taste. If I make the sauce again, I'll reduce the molasses and the brown sugar some and probably increase the vinegar.

Neil, thanks for the recipe. Most people prob won't know about Cheerwine (we called it Cherrywine growing up) because it's a local soft drink, but if they ever find it, they should try it. I'll try out this sauce soon.

Ben

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben S.:
Neil, thanks for the recipe. Most people prob won't know about Cheerwine (we called it Cherrywine growing up) because it's a local soft drink, but if they ever find it, they should try it. I'll try out this sauce soon.

Ben </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was a small child my parents, STRICT Southern Baptists, wouldn't let me drink Cheerwine because it had wine in the name. LOL.

I long for Cheerwine. I grew up in Gastonia, N.C. and lived on the stuff along with RO's BBQ and Black's BBQ. I live in Northern VA now and have to drive about a half hour south to get my hands on some or I rely on friends and family to bring large quantities anytime they are passing through.

The Cheerwine website has the recipe above.

Ahhhh Cheerwine. A friend of mine turned me on to that when I was stationed at Cherry Point. I haven't had any in years. I would say about 10 since it has been that long since I was in NC.

If I get hold of some I will have to try out this recipe. I wonder if it would work using Dr Pepper. I like cheerwine better but not a choice to us yankees.
icon_biggrin.gif

My second Pressman is bringing me back a case of Cheerwine from his vaction at Cape Hatteras. Can't wait to taste it for the very first time.
icon_smile.gif
I ask him every year to bring back a case and he always says I couldn't find it. Well he sent me a email the other day saying he found it, so I'm psyched.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
I wonder if it would work using Dr Pepper. I like cheerwine better but not a choice to us yankees.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff, I would say He!! yes to the Dr Pepper. This recipe would also work well with the Dr instead of the Cherry Coke. Link for you. You could also use Dr Pepper in place of the Cheerwine in the recipe above.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
Ahhhh Cheerwine. A friend of mine turned me on to that when I was stationed at Cherry Point. I haven't had any in years. I would say about 10 since it has been that long since I was in NC.

If I get hold of some I will have to try out this recipe. I wonder if it would work using Dr Pepper. I like cheerwine better but not a choice to us yankees.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure the freight would bump the price up quite a bit but their online prices aren't too bad..............

http://cwine.stores.yahoo.net/drinkdelivery.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil R.:

icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure the freight would bump the price up quite a bit but their online prices aren't too bad..............

http://cwine.stores.yahoo.net/drinkdelivery.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked the price in the grocery store today and that's about $4 more per 24 pack excluding the shipping.

I love that stuff. Here in Texas we have Big Red but when I visit my parents up in Franklin, I always drive home with a few cases of Cheerwine.

Had my first taste of said Cheerwine on Thursday. WOW! that stuff is good, I mean really good. It will never make it into a recipe. It's just too darn good going down. Why did he only bring me back a 12 pack of it.
icon_confused.gif

I wonder if this is the kind of thing we can get at Bevmo here on the west coast? It sounds good, but I've never had it before.

I also had my first Cheerwine soda last week on a trip to N. GA/NC. I rarely drink soda, but had to try some of these sodas:

Cheerwine
Nehi Peach Soda
Dad's Cream Soda
Sioux City Sasparilla soda
Blenheim Ginger Ale (the purpleish top one - hot)
Dr. Enuf (real sugar, ginseng among the ingredients)

Richard

There are still some places in NC that you can get Cheerwine in glass bottles. Its even better.

I will also say Diet Cheerwine is very good as well for those of us who need to watch our waistlines (lately I have watched mine expand).

I cant believe no one mentioned that other Carolina staple.....Sundrop. I've never like it but most native carolinans will not go without it.....and Mt Dew is not a suitable substitute!

For those of you that can't get Cheerwine... Cherry Dr.Pepper would be the closest thing I know of.

But it still wouldn't be the same.

Try this for a unique taste variation on your ribs:

This is a finishing glaze, and I apply it after cooking. Rub, baste, smoke ribs til done as you normally would.

In a non-reactive cooking vessel, reduce a 2 liter bottle of Cheerwine until about 20% of the original amount remains. Add in a cup of your favorite BBQ sauce. A spicy sauce works well here since you will have a pronounced sweet flavor profile to offset.
Brush your ribs with this glaze before cutting or serving. I occasionally harden this off on my gas grill to set up the glaze and caramelize it. Its like candy to a meatlover.

BTW...if Cheerwine is unavail in your area, as Chris says, Cherry Dr. Pepper will work.

Back