Charlotte shout: BBQ feedback

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Today I made a quick visit to our little competition. Some interesting comments.

"I don't use a rub"
"I don't inject"
I saw one of the pros (as seen on tv) inject like mad.
One competitor cooks shoulders very fast. He put them on the morning of a 3pm turn in.
RIBS: some cooked low in slow some cooked with direct heat only.
Saw some of the 'Original charcoal co." hardwood coal looked great. They were selling it for $2 / bag ,10lb?
Saw a rookie team who had to surrender-they didn't get their meat cooked. Cooked at 205* and did not get it finnished.
Watched a couple of judge onsite visits.
I wish I could have spent the day. You can learn a lot in an hour.

$50,000 trailers do not taste any better than $200 cookers. Only heard of two WSMs. Quite a few kettles.

All in all friendly folks. Go visit a comp if you haven't.

Steve, I went to the Smoke on the Beach comp in Myrtle Beach today. Are you ready for this?
Everyone was cooking on gas. Had a hard time finding the event because I was looking for smoke.

Saw some good looking rigs, but didn't bother to taste anything.

I don't even know what to say!?!? I read both of your posts, said to my-self... Self, you've got to respond.... Nothing!

Wish I would have known about the Charlotte thing today, I'm up in Salisbury this weekend. Heading back to Charleston tomorrow. Going to check the weather first. Don't want to drive down there for work if I'm just going to come back north because of the storm.

I talked to at least one competitor( 'pro' )
division (vs backyard) who used gas to hold temp and had wood for flavor.

This was a small comp. After visiting, I believe this is where any pro would cleanup.
It would be a good comp to get your feet wet.

I did see some good looking meat-no samples tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back