Charcoal ring for the 22.5 OTG?

Andrew Luis

TVWBB Fan
I was curious as to what you guys do to keep the charcoal 'tight' when using the kettle as a smoker?

I am thinking of investing in the 'smokettle' (http://www.smokettle.com) and using a charcoal ring under it when using my kettle as a smoker.

Will the second charcoal grate turned 90degrees work to make sure little chunks of charcoal don't fall through like I do on my WSM (18.5)?

I was curious as to what you guys do to keep the charcoal 'tight' when using the kettle as a smoker?

I am thinking of investing in the 'smokettle' (http://www.smokettle.com) and using a charcoal ring under it when using my kettle as a smoker.

Will the second charcoal grate turned 90degrees work to make sure little chunks of charcoal don't fall through like I do on my WSM (18.5)?

I love to smoke on my 22.5 otg with the snake method (fuse/horse shoe) and on a nice day with little wind you can get long burn times using the snake method. Or you can use one charcoal basket if you have one and lay out foil on the charcoal grate and up to the basket, the basket will keep it packed. take a look at the smokenator before you pull the trigger on the smokettle,my buddy has it and he loves it. I don't see you using the extra charcoal grate would not work to help keep the small pieces from falling through. Good luck.

If you take apart the charcoal baskets you can lay them straight across the kettle (like a wall basically) anywhere you want them. That's what I do for long smokes so I can keep the charcoal where I want it and it keeps them nice and tight. This way you can make your bank of coals whatever size you want. I just recently discovered this and it works flawlessly.

Last edited:
If you take apart the charcoal baskets you can lay them straight across the kettle (like a wall basically) anywhere you want them. That's what I do for long smokes so I can keep the charcoal where I want it and it keeps them nice and tight. This way you can make your bank of coals whatever size you want. I just recently discovered this and it works flawlessly.

Same here Justin, just discovered this myself and tried it this past weekend to make a spiral snake and it worked well with my pizza pan diffuser. Got over a 10 hour smoke on the 22" kettle with that setup. Funny what you think of sometimes with a beer in your hand...

Back