Charcoal ring and diffuser set up for Weber 22 kettle

Cajun Bandit makes a nice smoker stacker ring kit for a 22 kettle, including a ring and diffuser.

Spendy but a good solution for this application.

Most of you guys here know I LOVE mine!!!

Flip charcoal baskets upside down and spaced out. This makes plenty of room to bank coals between the baskets.

Light up a minion with a starter cube or etc. Lay a stockpot lid on top of the baskets. Control your vents - I have to use the top adjustment too when cooking like this. Come up to temp carefully as not to overshoot.

Boom - you are cooking low and slow over your entire grate with a diffuser.

I just did my first cook using the SS stockpot lid as a diffuser. Chicken drumsticks. Since this wasn’t low and slow, I was afraid of using aluminum. I put almost a full chimney mostly lit coals and at half vent on the bottom, open on top. Ran 350-380 for 45 minutes. The photo shows how much coal was left at that point. Probably could’ve run another 30-40 minutes at this temp range.

I attached a photo of the bottom of the lid. You might be able to see that the lid still has the handle on it in the cooking photo. Prevents me from putting a water pan but I didn’t need it for this. Any ideas on how to cut off the handle?

I did this same setup last weekend and was surprised I couldn’t get the temp above 315. Almost full chimney of lit coals, bottom and top vents wide open. One difference is it was about 50 deg vs 80ish when I did it the first time. Could that temp difference explain the lack of heat generated? I know the ring probably doesn’t let enough air in to let the coals get burning hot but I didn’t think it would get stuck in low 300s. Works well for low n slow.

Might have to try the upside down charcoal basket method for higher temps.

Back