Charcoal Grates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom R

TVWBB Super Fan
Don't get me wrong. I love Weber products and I know for a fact that they make quality products. However, I do think they dropped the baLl when it came to making the charcoal grates.
First the gaps on the ends where charcoal falls through, and secondly the quick rusting and now (at least mine) is bending like a bowl. Now if I've had this grate for at least 5 years or made a 100 cooks I wouldn't complain but it's only 2 years old.
You folks agree or did I just get a bad one?

Come on George Curtis! This one is right up your alley.
icon_wink.gif

I agree with you on the cooking grate. It is one of the few Achilles' heels of the Weber charcoal product lineup.

For $40 you could get a Home Depot brand (Stok) cast iron grate that should last you many years, once seasoned. The other option (I'm sure you're aware) is the Craycort 4 section deal, which is better quality than the HD unit, and provides more cooking options. But it'll set you back over 100 bucks for the 22 inch version once you add shipping.

not sure what yer doing cuz i have no problems with mine. i have many that are ooooold and they are still functional. havn't replaced one yet. plus they are on the cheap side. now the cooking grates are another thing.

Well the grate's sure arn't what they use to be tell you that, They are made way smaller in dia. than the old one's...I have no problem with the new one's yet on my OTS.. But i know they'll never last like the one on my Bar B Que kettle that is 30 years old and still going strong. Had to reread the op post. I am talking about the cooking great on the BBQ Kettle.

Well it is just a charcoal grate.
icon_smile.gif
Raw steel will rust, nickel plating would burn off and a SS charcoal grate would be expensive.
I use lump so the double grate mod closes the gaps.The heat will cause it to bow down in the center so I just flip it over on concrete and step on it to straighten it out.
Not a bad one, quite normal IMO

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Well it is just a charcoal grate.
icon_smile.gif
Raw steel will rust, nickel plating would burn off and a SS charcoal grate would be expensive.
I use lump so the double grate mod closes the gaps.The heat will cause it to bow down in the center so I just flip it over on concrete and step on it to straighten it out.
Not a bad one, quite normal IMO

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you Tim.
I'll try to straighten it but hopefully the rust is just at the surface and it won't fall apart when I step on it. Thanks for the tip.

Please ignore my earlier post about the cast iron grate. I now see you were referring to the charcoal (not cooking) grate.

Well you could just look at it as your grate is well used crusty and rusty, and the bowl shape just leaves you more room for coals.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

when it gets bowl shaped, turn it upside down.

All of mine are doubled up and no longer turn into bowl shaped.

Also, I really don't think they've changed over the years. The diameter of the grate and the rods seems the same. (aside from the 26" grates)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W Tyler:

For $40 you could get a Home Depot brand (Stok) cast iron grate that should last you many years, once seasoned. The other option (I'm sure you're aware) is the Craycort 4 section deal, which is better quality than the HD unit, and provides more cooking options. But it'll set you back over 100 bucks for the 22 inch version once you add shipping. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the Craycort for my 26.75 and my smokey Joe and the Stok for my 22. I really like the Craycorts a lot, but I'm not sure I think they are much higher quality than the Stok. I've had some issues with my Craycorts that makes me think they have some quality control issues. I don't hold it against them however, because Rolf has gone out of his way to make it right which is one of the reasons I feel so comfortable recommending them to other people. It's a great company to buy from and they stand behind their product.

Having said that, I actually like the design better for the Stok for the 22's. It's much more practical layout because a chimney starter fits in the hole without having to take out the entire grate and all the lines run the same direction which is nice for sear marks. Also, it does NOT have to be seasoned due to the porcelain coating. Also, if you are into inserts and accessories, they have a crap load of them, but that's not really my thing.

I've only had my Stok for a few weeks, but so far I actually think it's just as good an option for the 22 even if the grates were the same price but with it being 60 bucks cheaper ($39.99), its a no brainer decision.

By the way, my favorite grate ever is the Weber BBQ gourmet wire great. It's got extra thick wires and a cut out in the middle AS WELL AS the flip up hinges so you have access to everything.

It doesn't provide as good sear marks as the cast iron but it's better than the Weber factory grates and I love it for smoking due to the access it gives to the charcoal...which is mostly what I do.

I believe the charcoal grates are the same as the cooking grates except they don't have the plating on them. So I can't imagine that they're getting more flimsy. Weber very often repurposes parts. For example, the water pan in the 18" WSM is the lid from a Smokey Joe.

You have to remember that the charcoal grate gets much hotter than the cooking grid and is therefore more susceptible to heat-related problems. When mine starts to warp, I just flip it over. Not a big deal. And since it touch the food, the rust doesn't matter.

When I buy a used grill I will almost always replace the cooking grate because it's rusty. But in all the years I've owned Weber charcoal grills, I've never bought a replacement charcoal grate. They seem to last and last.

Bill

I warped the charcoal grate in my brand-new Performer first time out. Not the first or last time. <g>

I doubled the grates at 90-degree angles so little pieces of charcoal don't fall out so easily; both grates are now warped but aren't getting any worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back