Charcoal Grate - Stainless Steel Expanded metal cover.

Wilson Boudreaux

TVWBB Member
I have read where some WSM owners used two grates (crossed) to stop small lump from falling through the grate. My first cook made me realize what they were talking about.

I looked around for a second grate, then I thought, perhaps Expanded metal would be my ideal mod. Then I though, Stainless Steel Expanded metal secured to the Charcoal grate.

Then I thought 18"x18" - 3/4 #9 Stainless Steel Expanded Metal. The more I searched, the more convinced I was that this item was a dream. Then I thought: I have many facebook friends out there that play with projects, and they have many friends out there, and so on, on so on.

I made a plea to my facebook friends to look in the corners, on the shelves,talk to their friends. In just 36 hours, I had my piece of Stainless..... and it was "free".... aren't friend great....

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Well, maybe you can get one of those FB friends to take and post a picture for this project.:cool:.........................d

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I used the 22.5 WSM for a Boston Butt on Saturday. I was very pleased when I checked the ash content in the bottom of the bowl the day after the cook. It was all ash, and no small lump pieces fell through the stainless steel expanded metal. I was very pleased..... All the lump remnants of cook were easily collected and placed in a 6 gallon galvanized container for later use.

Back