Charcoal grate and grill grate

Joseph K

TVWBB Member
I had this question...
So, in any Weber charcoal grill, there are two types of grates. One for positioning charcoals and one for positioning food. I noticed that charcoal grates tend to go bad easily. I am assuming material type has a lot to do with it but having scorching coals on them would certainly have impact. So, my question is only pertaining to these charcoal grates. First, is it safe to use totally rusted charcoal grates? They only hold charcoals (and food is about 5 inches away from it) but having rust in proximity to food and with so many things going on (fat drippings from food to coals and to charcoal grates, flames, and smoke), I am just wondering if the rust particles are getting on to food. One can claim that that is what it makes the food taste so much better but I just wonder about the safety. I cannot replace charcoal grate every time I use my grill because that would be too expensive proposition. Should I just live with it? Assuming we can bear, the second question is, how often, if ever, do we clean the charcoal grates? I tried and there is nothing happening when I tried, I mean, there is no improvement. So, the third question, what is your philosophy or your take on cleaning/maintaining the charcoal grates? I see stainless steel charcoal grates at Amazon. Quite pricey. I am wondering if it make difference going that route. As always, I really appreciate your inputs and grateful that Chris has this awesome site for us.

Charcoal grates are mild steel, cooking grates are nickel plated. You could upgrade to SS on both.
Me I upgraded the cooking grate. All my charcoal grates are original going back to 06,08,012 etc.
I occasionally drop one on the driveway to knock off the rust and stand on it to straighten out the curve, then flip it over.

Same here, keep,cooking surface SS, let the rest sit. Although I did replace both recently on a performer rebuild.
How soon after you purchased your brand-new Weber Kettle with the plated steel cooking grate did you replace-it with a Stainless steel grate? I ask this question as I am thinking of replacing a unused plated steel cooking grate that came with a new Weber Master-Touch Grill that I purchased last month with a stainless steel cooking grate. Why do this: SS Grate more rust resistant and easier to clean IME as in the past I have purchased two(2) terrific SNS SS Easy Spin Cooking Grates.

I have never replaced the charcoal grate on the many Weber Kettles that I have purchased in the past.

Attachments

• 196B338E-19DA-404D-AACE-0F1DCDBF3EB5.jpeg
    196B338E-19DA-404D-AACE-0F1DCDBF3EB5.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
How soon after you purchased your brand-new Weber Kettle with the plated steel cooking grate did you replace-it with a Stainless steel grate? I ask this question as I am thinking of replacing a unused plated steel cooking grate that came with a new Weber Master-Touch Grill that I purchased last month with a stainless steel cooking grate. Why do this: SS Grate more rust resistant and easier to clean IME as in the past I have purchased two(2) terrific SNS SS Easy Spin Cooking Grates.

I have never replaced the charcoal grate on the many Weber Kettles that I have purchased in the past.
My opinion Richard….i just boughtthe SNS grate because I lime the easy spin aspect of it. I didn’t realize what a pain it is to have the typical weber grate matched with the lid bail haow it hangs uo…..I’ve been used to the plain silver series where there was s no interference issues. I really like that grate with the poor man bro n sear. You’ll love it cause I know know you have the real Slow N Sear. There are some heavier made grates out there but haven’t tried one yet.

Back